The Esso cold weather oil videos - a paper on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have posted and many have linked to these over the years

I think that I've found a paper on the techniques used, and some of the results

here

I found out the difference between 10-40 dino and M1 5-20 with cold temp starts in Maine in 1978. The lifters in my Chevy V8 clacked loudly with the 10-40(not to mention the longer crank time), but after changing to 5-20 M1 no lifter noise at all. Also the starting time at -20F was much faster. Made a believer out of me. Thanks for the video.

Last edited:
Similar story with my old focus trying to start it in -20F weather. Had 5w-20 dino one winter and 5w-20 synthetic the next, it started so much easier with the synthetic i never went back. Even within the same grade the level of noise and ease of startup was greatly improved.

Last cam lobe oiling times seem quite long (still >100 secs in the best-case oil tested at the best case temperature 0C.)

This might be addressable by direct oiling, or of course with a pre-lube system.

Interesting stuff.

Last cam lobe oiling times seem quite long (still >100 secs in the best-case oil tested at the best case temperature 0C.)

This might be addressable by direct oiling, or of course with a pre-lube system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back