Torque Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please for the love of your vehicles whatever maintenance or work you're doing please follow specs of that vehicles owners manual...That is all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrJhynx
Please for the love of your vehicles whatever maintenance or work you're doing please follow specs of that vehicles owners manual...That is all.

+1

It makes me grumpy when I don't see a torque wrench being used for assembly.

robert

I just love it when I see a 20year old tech, hungover, drinking monster, crank down on my new alternator and belt with abandon to get it "f'ngud'ntight" as another tech spritzes brake cleaner the 6feet towards I'm (and my car) as he walks past talking about how loose his ex girlfriend is. Of course "crazy train' is playing on the stereo in the background to provide setting.

This is why you are made to wait in a lounge with cookies and Oprah network on the tv and a copy of the "dedicated to quality service" pledge hand signed in the wall. Me, I walk around as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
... and don't forget that cheapie HF torque wrench. Nothing makes you feel more like a pro than that satisfying click. You can then pat yourself on the back for a job well done, not like those "other hacks".

Hey, don't knock it. Even the cheapest [censored] Chinese torque wrench is more reliable that a calibrated elbow. If someone can't justify (or even afford) a Snap-On at least the bottom end of the market gets them within the right ballpark.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
... and don't forget that cheapie HF torque wrench. Nothing makes you feel more like a pro than that satisfying click. You can then pat yourself on the back for a job well done, not like those "other hacks".

Hey, don't knock it. Even the cheapest [censored] Chinese torque wrench is more reliable that a calibrated elbow. If someone can't justify (or even afford) a Snap-On at least the bottom end of the market gets them within the right ballpark.

+1 it wont be as accurate as an expensive wrench but it's a lot better than estimating the torque via elbow.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

Or use a beam torque wrench, not "slick" but usually accurate.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I just love it when I see a 20year old tech, hungover, drinking monster, crank down on my new alternator and belt with abandon to get it "f'ngud'ntight" as another tech spritzes brake cleaner the 6feet towards I'm (and my car) as he walks past talking about how loose his ex girlfriend is. Of course "crazy train' is playing on the stereo in the background to provide setting.

This is why you are made to wait in a lounge with cookies and Oprah network on the tv and a copy of the "dedicated to quality service" pledge hand signed in the wall. Me, I walk around as much as possible.

crackmeup2.gif

Torquing every single nut and bolt is neither practical or the right way to do it. The ability to judge whether a fastened assembly is properly tightened depends on mechanical aptitude and experience. The key term here is 'properly tightened'. All fasteners should be properly tightened, but not all fasteners are torqued.

If every mechanic tightened every fastener with a torque wrench your bill would be astronomical and the car less reliable. There are too many factors to say torquing is the right way to fasten every fastener. It is better to understand how and why fastened assemblies work that to simply torque everything.

I'm repairing a forestry implement this week that requires the cutter bar nut tightened to 2,200 ft. lbs.! Needless to say, I'm having a local CAT implement shop handle this.

Even my torque wrench won't handle this one:
tork-calibration.gif

Actually it just makes me feel like I gave a sh*t about something and actually wanted to come within a city block of having it done right.

But hey... You go ahead and side with Dealership Dufus Dave the pill popper mechanic. Yep go ahead and side with a guy who loves dropping your hood from as high as he can lift it. Send him on a date with a daughter and your rear will pucker as he drives away in a car with that "qualty workmanship" you defended here.

Torque wrenches are for weenies hey? Pfft!

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
Torquing every single nut and bolt is neither practical or the right way to do it. The ability to judge whether a fastened assembly is properly tightened depends on mechanical aptitude and experience. The key term here is 'properly tightened'. All fasteners should be properly tightened, but not all fasteners are torqued.

If every mechanic tightened every fastener with a torque wrench your bill would be astronomical and the car less reliable. There are too many factors to say torquing is the right way to fasten every fastener. It is better to understand how and why fastened assemblies work that to simply torque everything.

Exactly. Pretty much if it's not compressing a gasket, or has a bearing under it, it probably doesn't need a torque wrench.

Leaving aside the vexed lube/dry question, (which, IMO, undermines the torque wrenches usefulness in many situations) there's another aspect that I havn't seen discussed.

Torqueing seems to be a DYNAMIC process.

This becomes more obvious if you use a beam wrench, which is what I use on those rare times that I use one at all.

If you hold the torque at (or just below) the spec, the fastner is often still rotating. This implies that the amount of tension on the fastner depends on how quickly you apply the torque. With a click wrench it'd click and you'd move on, and might not notice this, but it'll still be an uncontrolled variable.

Torque wrenches seem a very imperfect solution to a problem that fortunately doesn't often exist.

Last edited:
Don't watch ericthecarguy or scottykilmer channel on youtube then lol

but i agree, i torque everything down to spec except small nuts that are holding up brackets and such

+1

Originally Posted By: The Critic

+1

+2

Actually it just makes me feel like I gave a sh*t about something and actually wanted to come within a city block of having it done right.

But hey... You go ahead and side with Dealership Dufus Dave the pill popper mechanic. Yep go ahead and side with a guy who loves dropping your hood from as high as he can lift it. Send him on a date with a daughter and your rear will pucker as he drives away in a car with that "qualty workmanship" you defended here.

Torque wrenches are for weenies hey? Pfft!

Ummm... WOW!

This coming from a person who knows next to nothing auto related? Weren't you the guy asking all kinds of simple oil change related questions? Now to clarify- there's nothing wrong with not knowing, but if you don't know, you're in no position to make blanket statements and judge others.

GET REAL!

Originally Posted By: The Critic

+1

+2

+3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back