Internet TV options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Don't worry too much about data usage. While we are not huge consumers of television, I'd even say we're less than average, we do have two kids and that means lots of streamed Disney Jr. and Netflix in the background. Everything my wife and I watch is on HBO Go, Netflix, or streamed from iTunes.

We have yet to break 100 GB in a month.

When my in-laws were visiting, I signed up for Sling TV on Roku. In just two weeks, they managed to go through 150 GB. I have a 250 GB monthly cap on AT&T.

What we are using now:

Chromecast
Netflix
Hulu

We will never go back to cable TV = waste of money $$$$$$

let's if I understood the firestick vs roku diff:
They are both streaming hardware and each of the companies have different content they offer that you can stream, correct?

I have a chromecast already, which my girl use to watch youtube.

hattaresguy, how do you watch hbo go without a hbo subscription?

Quattro Pete, lol, I will have to ensure that I have the unlimited bandwidth internet connection :)

I checked google play store and I can buy the entire season of the Disney channel programs, Mickey mouse is around $30, which is good, I will own the program so I can download it on any device.

Question for the streaming services: which ones have DIY, Outdoors, etc?
Can you get any of the European channels on them? or are the re dedicated boxes for those?

Originally Posted By: stockrex
They are both streaming hardware and each of the companies have different content they offer that you can stream, correct?

Not really. For the most part, both devices can access the same content, with some small variations. Check out the cnet link I posted earlier and scroll to the bottom to see a comparison chart of major apps.

I believe with IP masking you can get NFL streaming from abroad. In the US you are forced to watch NFL thru cable/broadcast. However in an effort to get other markets interested they stream it. I a cable cutter who decent results on a 50" HDTV I believe with Brazil dns/ip service.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I believe with IP masking you can get NFL streaming from abroad. In the US you are forced to watch NFL thru cable/broadcast. However in an effort to get other markets interested they stream it. I a cable cutter who decent results on a 50" HDTV I believe with Brazil dns/ip service.

good to know, Thanks!

You can get HBO Now service that does not require a paid service from a cable company. HBO Now first released exclusive to Apple, and just recently other streaming devices like the Fire Stick and Fire Box have the HBO Now app. I am using the free 30 day trial HBO Now service now on the Fire Stick. Roku still does not have HBO Now. I suspect Roku and HBO are still in negotiations over money.

I have a chromecast already, which my girl use to watch youtube.

Quattro Pete, lol, I will have to ensure that I have the unlimited bandwidth internet connection :)

I checked google play store and I can buy the entire season of the Disney channel programs, Mickey mouse is around $30, which is good, I will own the program so I can download it on any device.

Question for the streaming services: which ones have DIY, Outdoors, etc?
Can you get any of the European channels on them? or are the re dedicated boxes for those?

I bought it threw my Apple TV.

Pete is correct, I logged on to my a/c and it said that data cap are temporarily disabled... wow.

Update:
I was paying $150 for internet and cable, I called and downgraded to basic and internet for $68. It was like pulling teeth, the guy tried to talk me out of it for 20 mins, I listened and at the end politely asked him to switch.

the slick part is that after 90 days I can get their top tier dvr triple play for $89 for 2 years. tempting!

I really wanted JUST internet, I hope ATT improves their line to my address area so I can get their internet and dump Comcast.

I have my 12 year old looking to which online streaming service she wants :)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Greetings,

I am ready to drop Comcast, and try internet TV,
I am going to keep their internet service for about $50 a month.

How many hours of TV do watch per day?

The reason I ask is that if you stream a lot of video in HD quality, you can easily hit your monthly bandwidth cap. I think Comcast currently has a 300GB/month cap on their lower tiers, although it's not actively enforced in many markets yet.

I watch a TON of netflix and I've never gone over like 40GB a month, at least, according to my router running DD-WRT. Maybe it's because my Roku in the master bedroom is only 720P. I'm not sure what the Netflix client goes on a PS3 but I'm pretty sure it's 1080p there (living room). I mean, there's only two of us in the house though. I'm sure a family with 4 or 5 kids would use a lot more, but just how much more is the question. Either way Comcast [expletive] and I'm glad we don't have them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back