Going to Detroit this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as many places left to see down there....lots of building going on for new stuff, like the new home for the Red Wings.

Henry Ford, Greektown, maybe catching a Tigers game....maybe even the DIA!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Thank you, Bluestream! Any other suggestions?
Yes, wear a bulletproof vest.

Not really. I've been down town and never felt scared, even at night.

Certain parts on downtown Chicago scare me more than Detroit does...

Though Flint might be a bigger issue....

I'm in Detroit once or twice per year. As suggested by others, make a point to see quality experiences....Eastern Market on a Saturday morning...it's the largest farmers market in the United States. The Detroit Art Institute is outstanding....my 2nd favorite art museum in the U.S. behind the Art Institute of Chcicago (I haven't been to the met in NY). Historic districts such as Indian Village, Boston Edison, and Palmer Woods feature outstanding architecture. Bell Isle is a nice drive if you're over by Indian Village off Jefferson Ave....and if you continue up Jefferson, you'll see the massive contrast between poverty and wealth as soon as you cross into Grosse Point.

The fact is, there is so much abandonment and ruin intermixed throughout Detroit that one doesn't really need to make a point to seek it out when there. It abounds everyone, even a mere block or two outside of the above mentioned historic districts. The Michigan Central Station, off of Michigan Ave., along with the Packard auto complex are considered the mecca of abandonment in Detroit, though I wouldn't recommend getting out of the car when at either location.

If you're really determined to see 2 of the most destroyed streetscapes in America, google street view a block of Hollywood St. off of Woodward then Brentwood Ave., parralel and a block north heading back to Woodward....be sure to drive through the beautiful and well kept Palmer Woods not even a quarter of a mile away. The stark contrast is amazing.

Last edited:
haha Nick1994 we get the same Mexicans up here also! Most resurants here are locally owned and ran from Mexican immigrants.

If you know what to order you can get it very authentic! Tacos El Pastor
thumbsup2.gif

They taste the Same as the ones i would eat in El Salvador! I know that's not Mexico, but its close!

+1 !

I moved up to WI from TX a bit over 3 years ago. There are Mexican immigrants up here too! And many of them open restaurants!
Sure, the flavor is different, and midwesterners don't like their food quite as spicy, but you really just need to know where to go, and what to order. (Beef=good, pork=great, chicken=risky. I stay away from the chicken).
+1000 on the Tacos Al Pastor. Cilantro, onions, and lime all the way!

The major problem up here is not the Mexican food. It is the lack of anything even remotely resembling decent cajun food. There are approximately zero cajuns in the midwest.

Edit: Sorry to hijack the thread!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
haha Nick1994 we get the same Mexicans up here also! Most resurants here are locally owned and ran from Mexican immigrants.

If you know what to order you can get it very authentic! Tacos El Pastor
thumbsup2.gif

They taste the Same as the ones i would eat in El Salvador! I know that's not Mexico, but its close!

+1 !

I moved up to WI from TX a bit over 3 years ago. There are Mexican immigrants up here too! And many of them open restaurants!
Sure, the flavor is different, and midwesterners don't like their food quite as spicy, but you really just need to know where to go, and what to order. (Beef=good, pork=great, chicken=risky. I stay away from the chicken).
+1000 on the Tacos Al Pastor. Cilantro, onions, and lime all the way!

The major problem up here is not the Mexican food. It is the lack of anything even remotely resembling decent cajun food. There are approximately zero cajuns in the midwest.

Edit: Sorry to hijack the thread!

Haha my mother is from New Orleans! She is a true creole! Cajun is what I've grown up eating! Spicy red beans and rice is my favorite meal!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Thank you, Bluestream! Any other suggestions?
Yes, wear a bulletproof vest.

I will carry while there. I'am not terribly worried about danger, I've lived in San Salvador, El Salvador lol. All my ventures should be during the day.

How about that TV show, Hardcore Pawn, I think it's American Jewelry and loan. Maybe you'll see some crazy person thrown out of the store or if you act crazy, you can also be thrown out of the store.

Lots of good suggestions above,
I would add Slows BBQ on Michigan ave. It is the premier BBQ place in Detroit and also right across the street from the old Michigan Central train station. If you go on a weekend or game night expect an hour or more wait for a table however.
Also the river front is nice now with a state park and also Belle Isle has been completely refurbished as a state park and is a very nice visit.
There is a lot of construction going on everywhere with the new hockey arena area and the light rail line up Woodward, so expect a little traffic .
You wont have to make a special trip to see blight either there is still plenty around, stay away from the North East side, the downtown area is pretty safe but some neighborhoods you don't want to visit.
Michigan is very pro conceal carry but make sure you are familiar with the few pistol free zones we have.

Actually I just remembered I am going to the Tigers game Friday night. Wear your Bitog T-shirt so if I see you around I will know it's you.LOL
smile.gif

I will carry while there. I'am not terribly worried about danger, I've lived in San Salvador, El Salvador lol. All my ventures should be during the day.

Just a bit of advice: Stay a MILE away from Canada if you are packing. They have some ferocious handgun laws there. Everyone I have talked to who accidentally had their piece with them when the crossed the border tells me horror stories about how much pain they went through. If you want to go to Canada, don't take any of your hardware with you.

The others here have already said the things that I would suggest considering. Henry Ford, Greenfield village, Belle Isle, Detroit Instutute of Art. For eating there is Greektown, Slow's, Andiamo's in the Ren Cen. I don't reccomend wandering about too much at night if you don't know what you're doing though. Where are you planning to stay?

Originally Posted By: Danno
3 hour (boring) drive to Toronto. Lots to see and do there.
Niagara Falls, Canadian side is 3.5 hours from Detroit.

My experience with Toronto is you mostly sit in traffic.

Don't miss the F-150 factory tour at The Rouge!

http://www.thehenryford.org/rouge/index.aspx

You can see quite a bit of the factory, but sadly not where they fill the engine with oil or spin the filters on [tear of sadness]

+1 on Slows BBQ, but beware they usually have a serious line at dinner time so call ahead and make reservations if you don't want to make an evening out of it.

If you want to have a DD or take a cab and are a beer fan, Hopcat is definitely worth checking out:

http://hopcat.com/detroit

As well as Atwater brewery:

https://www.atwaterbeer.com/

The Polish restaurant (Polonia) featured on No Reservations is good too, I have been there a few times. The gołąbki (cabbage rolls) are a belly full, the cheese pierogi are phenomenal as well.

http://www.polonia-restaurant.net/

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan

Just a bit of advice: Stay a MILE away from Canada if you are packing. They have some ferocious handgun laws there. Everyone I have talked to who accidentally had their piece with them when the crossed the border tells me horror stories about how much pain they went through. If you want to go to Canada, don't take any of your hardware with you.

This is true, if you show up at the border with a firearm, you will not be allowed entry into Canada, they will turn you around and send you back to the US.

Haven't been to Detroit in a few years (lived in Farmington Hills for a short time), hopefully these places are still open.
La Shish in Dearborn for "Lebanese" (usually means Palestinian) food. Stay away from the strip club around the corner if it's still there, nasty!
I guess the former Lili's 21 in Hamtramck (hamtramick) is now called Painted Lady Lounge, I'd sure go check it out just for nostalgia's sake.
Greektown is definitely worth the trip.
I had one [censored] of a fun night at the Old Shillelagh, ended up sitting at a big table with a businessman who took his secretary out and was making big time moves on her. She latched onto my buddy and kept telling him he needed to call her and help fix her car even though he told her 1000 times he lived in Dallas. I ended up comforting the guy in the suit while my buddy tried to get away from the drunk gal and we both laughed our heads off. We all sang, too, of course.
The Landing Strip near the airport if you're into that kind of thing. Saw a dancer there who looked exactly like a young Kelly Bundy, and she wasn't even the best of the talent that night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back