Castrol Magnatec 5-30, 7100miles, 13 F150 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last oil change. First run on Magnatec, switched from Castrol Syn-Blend 5-30.
Thought the notes BlackStone left might be of intrest.
Short changed the oil because I was going on a trip.

80-img004_316282f6cfd29de8c36e18c493580f3835940c64.jpg

Originally Posted By: RationalRussian
Very impressive OCI on conventional

Maganatec is a synthetic blend. The lab is telling us its purely marketing hype and is pretty much the same as the product it replaces. I had a feeling it wasnt as special as castrol claims.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life

Maganatec is a synthetic blend. The lab is telling us its purely marketing hype and is pretty much the same as the product it replaces. I had a feeling it wasnt as special as castrol claims.

Is the key ingredient(s) that makes Magnatec different, visible in a UOA? I'm not so sure we can just write it off as pure marketing hype based on a UOA.

As for the UOA... It looks fantastic! 7100 on their non-synthetic SN/GF-5 version in a TURBO is impressive.

Great! Thanks for posting I have done the exact same thing, went from Castrol syn blend in the KIA to now Magnatec.

A 20 buck UOA is just a small window view into the oil, although yes the common additives appear to be very similar. Just as they essentially are with about every oil posted here.

I do like the Magnatec, IMO this is a good showing for a syn blend in a turbo especially at those miles "wear" numbers (eye roll) are very good and shear resistance here is excellent given we are talking about a turbo.

...and i just realized two things.

welcome2.gif
KJSmith!

2. This is an Ecoboost Twin-Turbo.

Do you have an Oil Life Monitor ?
Whats the recommended Interval for those engines ?

You could tell all this from a single UOA?

I'd take time to read some posts from Shannow about Magnatec. I can attest that it is NOT just a replacement to GTX SynBlend in a new bottle.

Not only is the Magnatec 5W-30 impressive, but so to was the GTX Synblend used before it at an avg of 9000 miles per oci.

Originally Posted By: wemay
...and i just realized two things.

welcome2.gif
KJSmith!

Thanks !!!

Maybe I shouldnt have jumped so quick. Castrol markets it as the end all. I wouldnt expect to hear that its anything close to gtx from how they market it. oh, and the price mark up. The synthetic and synblend are both $21. It is a great uoa for an ecoboost though. I was surprised.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Good report - you're racking up the miles on that Ecoboost.

45 miles each way to work, about 60% of it I can run 65mph.

Adds up quick.... now my wife is less than 1k a month on her Edge.

Maybe I shouldnt have jumped so quick. Castrol markets it as the end all. I wouldnt expect to hear that its anything close to gtx from how they market it. oh, and the price mark up. The synthetic and synblend are both $21. It is a great uoa for an ecoboost though. I was surprised.

I'm not ready to call it hype yet.... it was a 33% decrease in iron... some of that due to a little shorter run.

A few more OCI cycles and we will know.

Wally world had it for under $19.00 a fiver.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Do you have an Oil Life Monitor ?
Whats the recommended Interval for those engines ?

Yes, use the OLM... short changed this time because we were headed out on a trip.

I typically can go 10k by the OLM... that is the longest recommended by Ford on this one.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Not only is the Magnatec 5W-30 impressive, but so to was the GTX Synblend used before it at an avg of 9000 miles per oci.

Yep, been happy with it.

Truck has a 3:55 rear, 4X4. Lifetime mpg of 19.0.

Lots of highway miles and very few short trips.

Does Magnatec smell different than GTX blend?

We used to have more comments around here where people would comment on the smell of the oil. I miss those
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2

We used to have more comments around here where people would comment on the smell of the oil. I miss those
laugh.gif

Haha. I admit Castrol syn blend had an almost fruity smell to it when drained. Have not drained any Magnatech yet though.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

laugh.gif

Mine had a slight hint of used oil with a whiff of gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back