Purolator PSL-12222, 10.5k CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we have a PUrolator synthetic filter that was on my co workers 2011 Avenger for 10.5k miles. Did 2 oil changes with Havoline and used filter again second time. Enjoy the photos. Manufactured January 3, 2012 on 1st shift also.

x3v38j.jpg

zj6s87.jpg

spvo01.jpg

1zbtmyd.jpg

f3hu88.jpg

669kw4.jpg

Thanks for the C&P. I am more than a little surprised at the waviness in the media. Is the wire backing in a PSL not of the same gauge as that of the Amsoil, RP, and Ultra filters? Other than that it looks OK for 10K.

What's it supposed to look like and what's wrong with it considering it's gone 10,000 miles, I don't get it, are oil filters supposed to be pretty and stuff?

Originally Posted By: zach1900
What's it supposed to look like and what's wrong with it considering it's gone 10,000 miles, I don't get it, are oil filters supposed to be pretty and stuff?

XG73172i_-_3.jpg

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Survived, but really ugly for a syn filter with only 10k miles. Would have thought PSL would hold up better.

Please explain what you're seeing because I'm not seeing it.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
That isn't particularly impressive...

In fact it looks pretty well shagged and it is supposed to be a 10K filter.

And you also. Please.

All the lighting is from the camera flash so I'm seeing a ton of reflection from the oil.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Survived, but really ugly for a syn filter with only 10k miles. Would have thought PSL would hold up better.

And you also. Please.

It just doesn't have the sturdy looking clean and uniform pleats that other synthetic filters *cough..Fram Ultra..cough* have. No one said it didn't do its job, but it doesn't look as confidence inspiring as other synthetic filter offerings. Ill stick with my Fram Ultras.

Yeah there is a ton of reflection from the flash.

My main issue with it is that the media doesn't seem to have held its shape very well, with pleats spread apart, the pleats also look very thin considering the wire backing.

I've opened a D+ with about 12K on it that looked as good if not better and the above pictured element has 19K on it.

Originally Posted By: car51
I'll post the Valvoline V0-106 tomorrow gang

I'll be looking forward to that. Thanks.

As for this PuroSyn, looks fine to me as well. It doesn't bother me that it looks uncouth.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

And you also. Please.

I'm seeing exactly the problem that synthetic media, and the wire backing on the media is supposed to prevent: Wavy, uneven pleats.

Here's a 14k filter:

15k filter:

19k filter:

And only the last filter is synthetic media, or has wire backed media.

Slacktide_Bitog: replaced with some Havoline Conventional, and a WIX filter. Told him to come back at 5k or 6 months or so.

Dont know what is the fuzz about the wavy pleats. AFAIK synthethic Puro's always had wavy pleats even when new, so this should not be a surprise and definitely not a sign of inferior quality or bad quality control.
Keep in mind im not saying there are no better options out there because IMO i'd choose a Fram Ultra over a Puro Synthethic anyday BUT that doesnt means im going to bash this filter with nonsense things like "wavy" pleats when this filter performed as it should.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back