1999 454 V8 - RV Oil Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
This weekend my dad is buying a 1999 Fleetwood Flair 30 foot RV. It won't be used to travel the country, most likely just Arizona for camping.

It has the Chevy 454 big block in it and has 75k miles. Really clean RV.

What oil grade does it take? What would you recommend? It will be used in Prescott, AZ so it gets pretty cold in the winter there. Maybe 20 degrees outside or a little colder occasionally.

I'm thinking of using Mobil 1 0w40 or T6

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
15w-40. Do you need the 0w part?
I edited the post and put the climate of where it'll be used in there.

Rv, ing in the winter the Ow part may be good. Even MI 10w-40 High mileage, 454 are not picky on oil though they may drink more than smaller engines. Keep an eye on the oil.

Nick, in the Verde Valley we see 20s regularly and teens at least a few times every winter. Prescott is almost 10 degrees colder most of the time. I'd be more worried about freezing the plumbing if he's not going to winterize and take it out in the winter.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40, no doubt the best choice! (If you ask me
wink.gif
)

It's got tons of ZDDP, Moly, Boron and plenty of calcium. Thick and loaded!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

20° maybe? Brr.... Nothing but 0w-xx.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

20° maybe? Brr.... Nothing but 0w-xx.
I thought 0w40 cause it's a stout oil, not because of it's cold cranking ability.

15w-40 summer, 5w-40 winter, or 5w-40 year round. It's going to drink a quart every 1000-1500 miles, just how they are and it's normal. I might have to try that Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40 that 901Memphis suggests, that would be a winner too I'm sure.

There is no reason in the world to run anything above the 5W-30 specified for that engine. Being an RV, it has its work cut out for it, but we service our Chevy Expresses that get driven real hard, with a lot of weight, in Florida heat using PYB 5W30 and 10W30, and have never had a bad UOA come back.

Use a good HM 5/30 if you have the miles to justify it, and save the 40W for any Euro stuff you have laying around.

What grade is a 454 supposed to use? I would just dump in a cheap 10w-30 conventional and call it a day. Most RVs never see a lot of miles anyway. I'd be more concerned about the transmission maintenance (or lack of).

T6 and T5 are cheap. Can't go wrong with either of those!

This weekend my dad is buying a 1999 Fleetwood Flair 30 foot RV. It won't be used to travel the country, most likely just Arizona for camping.

It has the Chevy 454 big block in it and has 75k miles. Really clean RV.

What oil grade does it take? What would you recommend? It will be used in Prescott, AZ so it gets pretty cold in the winter there. Maybe 20 degrees outside or a little colder occasionally.

I'm thinking of using Mobil 1 0w40 or T6

Looks like the factory specification is 10w30, 5w30 if below -17C (0F)

The Chevy 454 was pretty much always spec'd for 10w30 or 5w30, and its not brutal to oil- its a big American v8 that can sneeze and produce obscene amounts of torque... and its only weakness is an awkward valvetrain geometry that tends to bend pushrods which is not an oiling issue by any means.

T5 10w30 would be great. Given that the engine we're talking about is a Gen IV (later than '96), its got a roller cam and pretty much any 5w30 or 10w30 would work well- no need for ZDDP over 800 PPM. If you want just a little viscosity margin since its a motorhome application and the destination is the desert southwest, then your suggestions (M1 0w40, T6 5w40) are excellent. The last thing it needs is a crankcase full of molasses-like 20w50 or worse.

Probably similar to this? If so there is no need to go thick

http://lubematch.shell.co.uk/us/en_US/equipment/cars/chevrolet_(us)/tahoe_lt_7_4_suv_4wd_tahoe_EFt8Pk4Co

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back