Red Light And Speed Camera Tickets.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
ray, I disagree. If you are an off-duty cop you deserve a break or two. The rookie officer needs to see how it's not the academy and it's the "real world". These Red Light tickets are destroying the U.S. one ticket at a time.

You may be on to something. I can confirm that Yemen is not being destroyed by red light cameras, which they don't have.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: raytseng
The modern cameras use video. When you get a ticket, they will also give you a link to show you the video clip.

Yes. I don't know if they give a link on our new ones in this city. We did just get these new ones. The previous version the city was using were well past their end of life cycle, and still used actual film.
Originally Posted By: BRZED
You may be on to something. I can confirm that Yemen is not being destroyed by red light cameras, which they don't have.

Yep, all of America's enemies can be slowly and nefariously liquidated with a shipment of free red light cameras and some tech support. I bet our new red light cameras are from an American company. It's 1812 all over again!

ray, I disagree. If you are an off-duty cop you deserve a break or two. The rookie officer needs to see how it's not the academy and it's the "real world".

When I was 16, my neighbour took me for a spin, and as we were driving towards a set of lights, near a hospital, he said "watch this".

Then accelerated through a red, and when the Police bike pulled alongside flashed his badge, got a wave and the bike rode off.

It certainly made an impression on me as a 16 year old, that LEOs run a boy's club of sort.

Why on Earth does an off duty cop deserve to break the law ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Why on Earth does an off duty cop deserve to break the law ?

Yep, I don't approve of that behaviour. Professional courtesy is one thing, and that's understood. It happens in every field. Flouting things in a flagrant fashion is another matter altogether, and completely unacceptable.

I think some of you are missing the constitutional angle on this. Safety or not, it is a VIOLATION OF PRIVACY.

I'm against safety cameras, but it's not a violation of your privacy if your driving on their roads.

ray, I disagree. If you are an off-duty cop you deserve a break or two.

No. this is why some cops feel they're above the law. All people should be held to the same standard.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
But when you are on PUBLIC roads, we have the right to do anything necessary to keep the public safe....and blowing red lights IS a safety hazard...

Anything? Are you ok with police randomly pulling motorist over and doing searches? We gave up a ton of privacy after 911, and were not safer. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
But when you are on PUBLIC roads, we have the right to do anything necessary to keep the public safe....and blowing red lights IS a safety hazard...

Anything? Are you ok with police randomly pulling motorist over and doing searches? We gave up a ton of privacy after 911, and were not safer. Be careful what you wish for.

He didn't say "anything", he said "anything necessary". Random searches are not necessary.. Unfortunately because the average driver is an incompetent muppet, red light cameras are pretty much a necessity

ray, I disagree. If you are an off-duty cop you deserve a break or two. The rookie officer needs to see how it's not the academy and it's the "real world". These Red Light tickets are destroying the U.S. one ticket at a time.

I think you got it all backwards.
yes, they lose 1 "perk" but

1) Police would prefer red light cameras as it frees them to "real world" crimes. In the "real world" as you describe it, your fellow off-duty cops should understand the same as well that this frees up other cops to do "real" police work.

2) If you are arguing redlights loses the "professional courtesy" perk for LEO and that's destroying the US. I think many will argue the exact opposite that actually it's the "professional courtesy" that's destroying the U.S, and there's actual current news cycle and proof that this is a thing.

If an officers does not follow the same laws they are charged to enforce. If they claim to be a pro, they are trained and supposed to know better. It would be like letting a pro basketball player just go ahead and not have to inbound a ball, cause he's a pro.

What are the riots, protests and random shootings against LEO literally about? It's not that LEO lost their redlight running privilege. It's because there's a us-versus-them against the police.
What are the police apologist's go-to argument to defend the arguments? They say there's just one bad apple in any organization.

How does one bad apple get that way? By losing respect for the law and that they have to follow the same laws they're enforcing, and where they'll get covered by their buddies.
First they run red lights, then maybe they throw back a couple extra beers before driving home, then maybe it gets worse from there.

If you google "professional courtesy cops", you'll get tons of examples where this went wrong, and anyone higher than the front line officer who benefit from it thinks that overall it's a bad thing that shouldn't be extended but well curbed.

The actual incidents are one thing, but then there's the whole PR and . The functioning of the US society is all dependent on the theory that everyone is treated fairly If the public finds out that LEO don't actually follow the law, you get protests and riots and things get worse.

Look at other countries where it's expected that people can get away with things and cops are corrupt and there's bribery and things of that nature. Society continues to function, because people know and expect that is how things work there. But if you think corrupt society works better than the less-corrupt US society, i think you got a hard argument to win.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: whip

He didn't say "anything", he said "anything necessary". Random searches are not necessary..

Until a cop says they're necessary......

Two things.

1/ Police should be treated the same as everyone else unless of course on duty and responding to a call and acting in accordance to procedure.

2/ If the amber is deliberately shortened and that causes an increase in accidents then the person/s making the decision should be named and charged and be also open to civil action.

Last edited:
I always laugh at the folks that claim it's an invasion of privacy. Just remember, the more you blur that line because you want some fancy sounding argument, remember it gets blurred the other direction too. I like my privacy, but in order for me to be able to say get the [censored] out of my house, my land, my life I have to accept the other side of the equation.

I want red light cameras, too many of these idiot drivers think the yellow is the sign to hurry up. I don't drive in town much and I see a car entering the intersection after the light is red on a daily basis.

That said, there should be laws on yellow light timing, and any county that doesn't meet the minimum yellow time should be liable for any rear ending accidents (and subsequent injury). Profit for tickets goes to the police department and the police department only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back