? on Oil Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a lab with all kinds of different testing supplies. But we are in a different field that automotive and the test methods are are very different. Does anyone no how to run a TBN test and what is needed to run it. So far I have been able to come up with a small sample of oil, dont no the exact amount for the test but it was somewhere around 3 to 10 grams, dilute with 50 mls of 50:50 H2O/Isoprpyl Alcohol and titrate down with KOH. Dont no the strengh of the KOH or what PH to titrate to and what the numbers would be without a chart. Does anyone have acess to the test methods and would like to share them I could run samples a plenty.

I have been speculating about doing my own testing. I think you would need to use a strong acid, perhaps HCl tenth normal. I know acid numbers are defined as grams of KOH. Since it would be a weak base and strong acid, I would look for an indicator slightly below pH7. When I worked at Rinshed Mason in the 60's, my exacting boss had us using meta cresol purple for acid numbers.

Try using some tenth normal HCl and titrate a new sample of an oil you know the TBN. Calculate back to grams of KOH per KG sample.

We have some .1 normality HCL, So I I was to use say 10 grams of New Oil and dilute with 50 mls of 50:50 H2O/ Isopropopyl alcohol, I would then titrate down with .1 HCL. At what PH would you titrae to. I can find the test numbers but to get the actual test it is about 30$ to get the info, and i was sure someone here new how to run the test.

I recently looked up performing TBN tests as well. I wasn't able to find anything but found that for $40 I could directly get the ASTM method. OUCH! I was curious ... but not that curious.

almost 2 years later and was still thinking someone out there has to no how to run a TBN test on oil.
?

Originally Posted By: Gator
almost 2 years later and was still thinking someone out there has to no how to run a TBN test on oil.
?

I'd think ASTMS probably know, but you'd have to pay to get their (ASTM D974) method, and it probably won't be cheap.

This “Total Acid Number Titration Method” (it covers TBN as well) gives a detailed description of a (modified) titration method, though it doesn’t say much about the significance of the results.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/4/tan-titrations

IIRC the modification is mostly to use lower and more precisely measured volumes of reagents than the standard method.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back