Ingersoll Rand "Megacool" and "Boostercool" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have an Ingersoll Rand Powerworks 70LM Microturbine Natural Gas Generator that I just acquired. Looking through the maintenance book, there are two "coolants" that are used in this unit: Megacool, which is called a "turbine coolant" and Boostercool, a "fuel booster coolant". It seems that both of these fluids are/were proprietary to Ingersoll Rand, and as far as I can tell are no longer manufactured.

First question is, does anyone know where I can purchase these fluids or a compatible product?

Does anyone know what the specs on these fluids is? I suspect that they may actually be oils rather than a "coolant" per se.

The machine currently has full lubricant tanks that contain these fluids. What would be my best course of action to identify what they actually are? Take samples and send to Blackstone? Or is there a better fluid analysis service for unknown samples? Getting results quickly is important.

Thanks for your help!

Turbines are unique in terms of lubrication and design. I've seen big utility turbines that only need a group I R&O type lube, and others that need quite exotic stuff.

I'm At a bit of a loss at the fuel coolant, but I suspect it must be something metered in under certain conditions to limit turbine inlet temperature to prevent an over temp trip at high loading.

Have you contacted IR to see what they recommend?

Ingersoll Rand sold their Powerworks division to Volvo back in 2007, and they then sold it to Doosan. I'm still waiting on a response from Doosan but not holding my breath. Ingersoll has no info for me.

What is the best place to send a sample that will help me to identify the fluids?

I seem to remember that one of the microturbines was air bearing technology. Allied-Signal, nee Honeywell, tried to make that work but sold it off if memory serves.

I finally see the "air turbine" patent blurb under Capstone's technology link. Don't know if there are others with same.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Have got a mate (took a package and went to work for Dresser Rand) that I contacted yesterday, and he's going to see what he can find.

Did provide me with
http://www.aaronequipment.com/equipmentattachments/44531003_ir70lm.pdf

and told me that there is/was a biomasss kit to run them on timber waste...petty cool.

That aaron equipment have lots of them from time to time.

Awesome!
Any info or leads he can give are greatly appreciated!

I've recently discovered another issue... many of the filters and maintenance items are difficult (or impossible) to find. It seems that nobody is interested in supporting this nice machine anymore. It has several spin on filters that probably cross reference to something more common but as of now I don't know what.

I sent samples of each "coolant" to the lab that my local CAT dealer uses in Reno NV for analysis, should be getting a call from their lead expert tomorrow after he does some preliminary testing.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If the flooded screw gas compressor has been run on PAG, you need to flush, even assuming it's an appropriate lube for the job.

What if I am replacing with a compatible PAG lubricant? Is a flush still required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back