Bad Torque Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torque converter is throwing shavings all through the transmission on my 2002 Expedition (4R100). When I replace the transmission, do I also need to replace the transmission cooler?

Sounds smart. You could flush the old one first for the cost of a pint of fluid, and see what you catch. But only for curiosity's sakes.

I would just flush it back n forth a couple of times. Replace it only if its completely clogged and the flush doesn't work.

You could use Lubegard Dr. Tranny Kooler Kleen instead of replacing the entire cooler and lines. I used it when performing a line off transmission fluid change on the Grand Prix and, although I did not have the metal shavings issues you have, it seemed to have adequate pressure to flush out any shavings. The description also says it is for cleaning metal shavings out of cooler lines.

I would at lease make sure you get all the gunk out of the radiator before putting new tranny in.

I am fan of external coolers for trannies. Installed one in my accord and one in my gf Hyundai. Change fluid every 30k and no issues so far.

They both had after market radiators that gunked up rather quickly.

There is no way to know if you got the cooler clean or not.A piece of metal that gets dislodged later on can cause another trans disaster. Best to replace all the coolers it has.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
There is no way to know if you got the cooler clean or not.A piece of metal that gets dislodged later on can cause another trans disaster. Best to replace all the coolers it has.

Also, some ford coolers have a fluid bypass for when the fluid is cold. Unless the flush solvent is heated enough to cause it to open, you only end up cleaning the lines.

Just replace it. It's cheap insurance for the new transmission for not alot of money.

I didn't even think of the lines in the radiator. I just put a new radiator in a week ago. How do I clean it out?

I would replace the radiator and external cooler if equipped. Ford dealers have a heated flush machine to flush and back-flush the lines when replacing the transmission. Reman assemblies used to come with a Magnafine type filter in the cocoon, but they haven't for a few years now. Might be a good idea to add one as well. Also Ford reman transmissions come with a converter. Also look into new torque converter nuts as they usually strip out when removing them.

When I rebuilt transmissions for a living a million years ago, replacing the radiator was a normal part of the process when a converter went out or if the transmission was shedding metal. You will never, ever get all of the metal out of a radiator style cooler, trust me. The external cooler is usually salvageable, especially the B&M style, but you have to be careful as someone said that you're getting flow through the whole cooler when flushing. We also always put a Magnefine on the return line when reusing a cooler and on all E4OD transmissions.

Last edited:
YES! You'll never get all the shavings out of the cooler/radiator. Modern coolers aren't just a simple coiled tube. There are tons of fins and plates inside of the cooler passage, each one ready to cling on to the metal shavings..

If I understand everyone correctly, my best bet is to replace radiator, transmission cooler, and all lines when new transmission is installed?

The lines can be sufficiently cleaned, unless there is an integral thermostat in one.

Of course if you've got a leaker/weeper then I suppose now would be a perfect time to replace.

For the cost involved in a transmission job I'd replace the cooler/radiator. Or if possible mount a new external cooler if a radiator replacement is required to replace the cooler and it is cost prohibitive. Over kill, probably but if the cooler is not flushed properly there can be problems with the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back