2000 Jeep Wrangler Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to change out coolant in girlfriend's wrangler. Current fill is green coolant. Is this the only coolant I can use or can I fill back up with G-05 (I have quite a bit laying around)? I know Chrysler went to G-05 in 2001. Curious is I could switch coolant colors or not.

I've been running my daughter's '99 4.0 XJ on G-05 for about 5 years. No issues at all. I did flush thoroughly, including a final flush with distilled water before refilling with G-05/distilled water mix.

Does your gf's 2000 Wrangler have an airtight cooling system or does the reservoir have a loosely fitting lid like my sister's 1999 Cherokee did?

I ask because I've read here that green coolant is OK with open-to-the-atmosphere systems and other coolants (more modern ones?) are designed for sealed systems.

Dex-Cool is one coolant which needs to be in a closed-to-the-atmosphere system. Dex-Cool is said to dislike air.

Is G-05 (which I've used in sealed systems with success) a coolant which needs to be in a modern (closed-to-the-atmosphere) system as Dex-Cool does? Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira

I ask because I've read here that green coolant is OK with open-to-the-atmosphere systems and other coolants (more modern ones?) are designed for sealed systems.

Incorrect. G-05 is used in OE non-pressurized reservoir applications all the time. My Ram 1500 and wifes JGC both have factory G-05 in open-reservoir systems, of all my cars only my Challenger has a pressurized reservoir.

Concur - G-05 works fine in non-pressurized setups fine. My '07 Explorer has that type of system and came from the factory with G-05. Only issue is the overflow tank can build up a bit of scale/carud on the tank that should be washed out from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back