eBay etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last Thursday, about noon, I ordered some spline lug nuts from eBay. Highly rated seller, in NYC. The listing clearly states that if the order is placed before 3pm, the order will ship out that day and I'll get a tracking number. Payment was withdrawn immediately from my account, so the seller has his cash. 4 days later, nothing. No tracking number, no indication of shipment. How long should I wait before contacting the seller? I realize things happen, and it's eBay, so I don't expect the world, but still.

Last edited:
Remind the vendor politely of please supplying the tracking number, because you would like to arrange for pickup at home. As a vendor I usually purchase shipping via Ebay, and the tracking number and shipping info is automatically supplied in the vendor and the buyer's transaction info. If I buy postage at the post office or at another shipping service,I have to manually enter the tracking number and mark the item as shipped on Ebay.

Thanks guys. I believe he is sending it via USPS, so he would have to manually enter the tracking info. I sent him a message. Unfortunately, the one time I had to enter a dispute, PayPal did nothing for me at all.

In my eBay experience, sometimes even good sellers screw up. Just contact them and ask if order was shipped and ask for tracking number.

When buying USPS First Class postage through Ebay, you get tracking service for even most countries. If you buy First Class postage in the post office, tracking is, as far as I know, always an additional service and not included by default. That might explain why you did not get a tracking number. As a buyer I run into no tracking frequently. So far so good.

The other side of this problem is where they issue a USPS tracking number within a few hours (and at that point, eBay considers it to be "shipped").

However, they don't actually take it to the Post Office or hand it to a USPS carrier, until 3-4 days later.

As a vendor I promise shipping within 48 hours of having received payment. I purchase shipment the day I receive payment and input the next day as shipping date. I will ship within 48 hours.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Thanks guys. I believe he is sending it via USPS, so he would have to manually enter the tracking info.

What?

I print USPS labels through ebay all the time and I never have to manually enter a tracking number. It's always automatically done.

etiquette?

You file for refund, and give the seller bad feedback... if you can.

Then the seller files a defamation suit against you....
I stopped using Ebay after I bought a shirt which was literally a rag....I left negtive feedback and the seller demanded I remove it....so I went on the "chat board" for advice and then was bombarded with abuse from other sellers who claimed that $10.00 was so cheap that I got what I paid for and should shut up....this told me all I needed to know about some of the sellers there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Thanks guys. I believe he is sending it via USPS, so he would have to manually enter the tracking info.

What?

I print USPS labels through ebay all the time and I never have to manually enter a tracking number. It's always automatically done.

As I mentioned before, if the seller is going to the post office instead of buying postage through Ebay, he will have to enter the trackig number manually on Ebay.

If the seller has a very high rating contact him and he'll answer. If you get nit picky or snotty expect the same in return.

Originally Posted By: BRZED

What?

As I mentioned before, if the seller is going to the post office instead of buying postage through Ebay, he will have to enter the trackig number manually on Ebay.

I wasn't responding to you.

Plus, most people who sell a decent amount print their USPS postage online because it's way quicker and easier.

What?

I wasn't responding to you.

Plus, most people who sell a decent amount print their USPS postage online because it's way quicker and easier.

My sincere apologies for intruding on your private thread and conversation.

Thank you. Apology accepted.

Your comment really had nothing to do with what I was referencing when I responded to the OP, that's why I pointed out that I wasn't responding to you.

It seems the OP was confused about the ways you can enter USPS tracking through an ebay sale.

Thank you. Apology accepted.

Your comment really had nothing to do with what I was referencing when I responded to the OP, that's why I pointed out that I wasn't responding to you.

It seems the OP was confused about the ways you can enter USPS tracking through an ebay sale.

My comment had actually everything to do with what you said. I had already mentioned that when one purchases postage through Ebay the tracking number gets added automatically, so you offered nothing new with your post. And I answered your question by gaving you a scenario requiring a tracking number to be added manually. Just for clarification, not to intrude on your private conversation, for which I thought we had PM's.

Hope you get your stuff on time. I don't put up with seller's that don't perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back