recent start-up clatter 3.3 xterra

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
The new to me 02 Xterra with 130k has an apparent RMS leak so my take-possession OC was Napa Gold, 5w-30 Maxlife, and 1/2 bottle of AT-205 (because of the 3.5qt sump). At 3000 I changed oil (same) and added the other 1/2 bottle of AT-205 but on advice here kept the NAPA Gold filter for another 3000. At around 5000 on the oil filter I started to hear a bit of cold start clatter that wasn't there at all. Not loud and in 2-3 seconds it stops. The leak has slowed considerably but not stopped. Cold start right now means 70f morning temp. What's going on in there?

ADBV failed ? Mostly because filters are cheap and easy, that is where I'd start
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
ADBV failed ? Mostly because filters are cheap and easy, that is where I'd start
laugh.gif

Some people just can't grasp the concept that oil filters are cheap insurance and, IMO, SHOULD change them at EVERY OCI!

I had start up noise with a gold before and actually had better luck using a silver or pro select. I never had issues with those.At 5k, I would just do an oil/filter change. Start up clatter would get on my nerves.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I had start up noise with a gold before and actually had better luck using a silver or pro select. I never had issues with those.At 5k, I would just do an oil/filter change. Start up clatter would get on my nerves.

I had a PRO SELECT on my engine once. Upon start up my engine made so much noise it sounded like a woodpecker on a street light.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
probably your various heat shields rusting out.

If you are referring to my situation with the PS filter you could not be more wrong. After I removed it and installed a MC filter it never made a rattle again.
I was guilty of letting a tire store do a LOF and THEY installed that POS filter!

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I had start up noise with a gold before and actually had better luck using a silver or pro select. I never had issues with those.

Same here. No matter how hard I've tried I can't get a Gold to give satisfactory results on my picky Jeep.

They have been just fine on our other vehicles and they are clearly a better filter though.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I had a PRO SELECT on my engine once. Upon start up my engine made so much noise it sounded like a woodpecker on a street light.

HAHA

That's funny there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back