(Sensored!!) GM Dealership woes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzu

I am ticked off right now, so forgive my emotions at the moment I write this.

I just took my '00 Impala in for the ignition recall that I signed up for in March of this year. After 3 reminders from GM that I still haven't taken it in even though I was on the list, they fast forwarded me in the waiting line (I don't know why). Basically, they just glue an insert into the key slot making an elongated opening now one with a center hole. I had only 1 original key that I gave them to fix, and ordered 2 brand new dealer keys make off my VIN number. First the guy tried to make a new key off the old, well worn one instead of using the numbers. Luckily my 72 yr old dad was with me and caught that one. He looked embarrassed and cut 2 new ones like it should have been done and they work fine. The new keys have the elongated holes like the old recalled one, so [censored] GM??? Wouldn't all those keys be scrapped in favor of the single hole one? Yeah, some recall for safety GM.

Secondly, I do 99% of my own car repairs and there was no issues with the car except a small leak in the EVAP system that I couldn't trace. Instead of just buying parts and throwing them on, I decided to have the dealer do a diagnostic and pinpoint it to a tee. $89 for the fee only to come up with it needs a new fuel pump and the entire fuel lines replaced due to rust. The car is not rusty coming from 5 years in Georgia and Carwell rust treatments every 2 years underneath since '05. I replaced the fuel pump last year with an A/C Delco in my driveway and all has been fine since a month ago and a continuous CEL. The car is averaging 27.4mpg with the light on, so it must be a small leak. Total estimate for that job is $1,200 at this dealer. I declined.

Thirdly, I the car was driving fine otherwise to the dealer 5 miles away. My dad and I were having breakfast together waiting for the car, when 10 minutes after I dropped it off, they called and said there was a major brake line leaking fluid all over the floor and the brake pedal almost bottomed out. I don't know how hard they beat on it driving it from the road to the empty bay 80' away, but now they asked me if I wanted an estimate for that "new" problem. I declined again, but I was for sure not a happy camper.

I've been screwed over by 2 different GM dealerships with the same car. A few years ago another Pontiac/GMC/Cadillac dealer charged me $110 to misdiagnose a bad transmission for a faulty MAF sensor. They quoted me $2000 to R/R transmission and in real life a new $120 MAF from car parts store fixed it fine.

I'm sorry GM that I drive a nice looking, 99% rust free 240k mile 15 year old Impala loaded LS, but if this is how you deal with potential customers, I'm staying with Toyota. In fact, my beater Camry will have to do until I can get my Chevy back on the road. Four hours ago, my car was fine. Now it's on ramps in front of my house leaking brake fluid into a bucket waiting to fix it at home. What are the odds of it "just happening" when a dealer just drove it less than 100 feet? Dealers suck!!!
frown.gif

I feel for you, it almost gives the creeps walking into a big dealership as the overhead must be enormous. The service dept keeps the place afloat and they are paying for 15+ full time employees, plus the building, plus whatever the owner takes home to his homes...
I don't begrudge anyone there, but I let someone else pay for it... The service writer guys pretty much have to overcharge and create work from nothing, to keep the big money sucking machine greased up.

It's possible. I took my mom's Rendezvous into the dealer a few years ago for a cheap oil change. While it was on the rack, they discovered it was pouring fuel all over the place! They wanted to charge me hundreds of dollars to fix the leak. I remembered an old recall we never had done, turns out that was the issue. Whether or not they aggrivated the issue of leaking fuel or not, they tried to charge me for a recall. If I didn't remember that recall paper from years before we would have been out hundreds of dollars.

Dealers suck sometimes. They scammed me out of almost $2,000 for a flywheel on my VW last year, and it didn't fix the issue.

Sounds like your car isn't as rust free as you think it is.

Take pics of the parts in question and then go back to the dealer and question them. Or just have them show you the rusted parts while it's on their lift.

Dealers = factory authorized scam artists. They see customers as sheep to be fleeced and do so readily. Your only defense is to do it yourself or find an independent that you can trust.

+1 what Indylan said

I look forward to the day I can buy a new car on the web directly from manufacturer and have 10 different authorized service places I can take it to all competing for my business.

Last edited:
It's possible. But after I got it home, the brake line is leaking on the firewall side just below the master cylinder in a tight area not prone to rust that other sections are. To be honest, I don't want that dealer doing anything on that car again. It's just not worth the hassle to deal with them. As previously mentioned, they may have to "find" problems in order to keep the bills paid, but come on. These type of incidents really make me feel bad for people who are at their mercy. Women like my mother-in-law believe ANYTHING the dealer says and just pays it. "Miss, your muffler bearings are bad". "How much to fix?". "Only $900, but you will be SAFE driving it again". "Ok, do whatever it needs".......Cha-ching!!

Look for tool marks on that brake line. Why would that brake line just happen to spring a leak in an area not prone to rusting? I'm not a great believer in coincidence.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
"Miss, your muffler bearings are bad".

That reminds me, I need to change my blinker fluid.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
It's possible. But after I got it home, the brake line is leaking on the firewall side just below the master cylinder in a tight area not prone to rust that other sections are. To be honest, I don't want that dealer doing anything on that car again. It's just not worth the hassle to deal with them. As previously mentioned, they may have to "find" problems in order to keep the bills paid, but come on. These type of incidents really make me feel bad for people who are at their mercy. Women like my mother-in-law believe ANYTHING the dealer says and just pays it. "Miss, your muffler bearings are bad". "How much to fix?". "Only $900, but you will be SAFE driving it again". "Ok, do whatever it needs".......Cha-ching!!

So the brake line was leaking. Assuming they didn't cause the leak they were telling you the truth. Your car has 240,000 miles on it and is 16 years old-no matter how you take care of it things, what the dealer found happens. Obviously, you don't like dealers based on your attitude.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^
BTW-you will get a lot of ATTA BOYS! here on BITOG - because this board (generally) hates dealers as well. So at least you came to the right forum.

As far as the key thing, and I am only going by my experience with Ford and Mazda keys, on a 15 year old vehicle I prefer to trace the existing key versus cutting with a code. It is easy on the code end because Ford only supplies dealers with cut codes going back 10 years. A ton of times I have cut keys by code for an older vehicle to only have the keys work in the door cylinders and not the ignition.

As far as the problems that developed, none of the techs here would loosen a brake line to get it to leak to upsell you a line. The parts are probably obsolete, and considering how much they are the average owner of a 15 year old car will not pay to have them done. Plus we never do brake lines here because rust does not happen here for the most part.

Whats all the dealership hate on this website?

I have been a lurker on this website for years and quite frankly some comments on this website are just ridiculous. Could somebody have tampered with your car, yes I suppose but its seems unlikely. As a auto tech in central pa, I have seen plenty rusty brake lines and have made plenty of new brake lines they are not fun to do depending on where they are,I highly doubt somebody tampered with it just to get work. Not every dealership is out to screw you like some people think, just like people there are good and bad ones. Sadly the bad ones give all dealerships a bad name it seems, I do understand the topic poster frustration with diagnosis at dealerships(or anywhere for that matter) however, sometimes you get a tech that doesn't care and they just wanna shotgun parts on your car till it fixes it or you get mad and go somewhere else.

I doubt they see a 15 year old car with 240k on it as their meal ticket for the day, every Tech in the shop is probably running as fast as they can when they see something like that roll in.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I doubt they see a 15 year old car with 240k on it as their meal ticket for the day, every Tech in the shop is probably running as fast as they can when they see something like that roll in.

That is pretty much the reaction here with our techs. They know that no matter what they do to fix whatever problem the customer is complaining about, they will be blamed for something completely unrelated that went wrong.

To the OP:

You do live in Buffalo, NY and even thought the car spent 5 of its 15 years in Georgia, northern states and their excessive salty roads can wreak havoc on cars in only a few short years.

Frankly I am surprised that a car has lasted 10 years in that environment.

Do you believe the dealership tampered with the car to try and generate a repair?

Hey OP, it's not just GM Dealerships. There are shady ones everywhere you go. Honda, Toyota, BMW, Ford all have [censored] dealerships.

That's the "NEW GM" for ya...

As for a rust free 15 year old GM W body....call Ripley's Believe it or Not...

Brake lines do just go out especially with age. With an old (12 years) car of my parents, Dad moved it out of the driveway and had no brakes at the curb. Rust gets in weird places, especially hidden places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back