ATF For a 2003 Honda Civic Automatic Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Festiva_Man
Originally Posted By: Hiryuu
Use Honda OEM DW-1 fluid (formerly Z1) - that's all I've used in my old 2004 Honda Civic EX, annual drain and fills with 3 quarts. The filter is inside the transmission and not easily accessible to be replaced.

oh? have you opened it up to see the filter? i was under the impression that there was not a removable pan and there was no filter. there is a thread by a guy who took apart a failed auto tranny to see what was wrong. he had to remove it from the car to open it up and there is no filter inside. there is a very fine mesh screen on the oil pick up tube that gets plugged and starves the tranny for oil. installing an aftermarket inline filter is highly reccomended. here is the link.
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mec...estigation.html

There is a filter and honda came out with a new one that actually has a bypass
smile.gif

My 2004 Honda Odyssey has 191,800 miles and I always changed the ATF every 30K with Lucas ATF and still going strong. My Honda Civic is at 88,000 and again using Lucas ATF every 30K and still going strong. Cant say how it will work with your 03 civic, but my Honda's are pleased with the Lucas ATF.

Last edited:
I have been using full synthetic Kendall Versatrans LV in the 04 CRV, 07 Accord, and a 05 Toyota 4-Runner with excellent results.Meets WS and DW-1 SPECS.

It's interesting, those that say to use OEM for peace of mind after the atrocious track record on the Z1 stuff. On the 4 cylinder lighter cars it really doesn't matter what you use. DW-1 is fine. On the V6 heavier cars I would want something better though to be fair, we haven't seen the high number of failures on DW-1, it seems to be a decent fluid. I just like the quicker, and less noticeable shifts when the lower FM fluids are used.

I've never bought into the scare tactics from Honda. Having a V6 and weighing 3,600lbs, I began the search for something better since they were already dropping like flies when I bought mine new. Mine has worked very well with a thin Type F for most of its 130,000 miles including track days. These transmissions definitely perform best on a thin ATF. I use Redline Lightweight Racing and D4 in a 2-1 ratio. That's a 2 parts thin Type F and 1 part D4 which has a nice VI.

No, I don't suggest everyone go out and swap to Type F. The point I'm trying to get across is don't limit yourself to OEM out of fear. I've been to track days in this car and I've run a 100 shot of nitrous putting hp around 350hp and at 135,000 miles it literally shifts better than the day I drove it off the lot with 7 miles on it. Shifts are very quick but can not be felt. On the later ones equipped with pressure switches for 3rd and 4th gears, the switches must be replaced religiously every 2 years no matter the mileage and no matter how nice it seems to be shifting at the time. I can't remember if the switches came to be in '99 or '02.

Using anything more aggressive than Dex III on the non pressure switch equipped models will result in harsh shifts.

A Dex III is very safe to use in these transmissions but it has to be on the thin side, especially on the higher mileage units. I know that sounds counterintuitive. I would use the high VI, thinner DW-1 over Dex III if I couldn't find a thin Dex III or maybe a Dex VI.

For what it's worth, I live in a hot area and startup temps are rarely under 70F and I can still feel the improvement with the thin fluids. I saw no change in the drain plug magnet loading when I went thinner. I assumed that DW-1 was purely a result of the quest for better mpg but I wonder if Honda did I it partially due to the better shift quality and less converter clutch dragging on the thinner fluid. If DW-1 was available when I bought my car I might not have began looking for a better fluid but in the end I, glad I did.

From what people that work on transmissions say for Honda is to use the Honda fluid (DW-1).

Many on BITOG have reported using Valvoline MaxLife with no issues, but Hondas appear to be picky with fluid.

Agree about Z1 terrible on V6 models in early 2000's. Honda V6 transmissions then were terrible. Have one of those Hondas and did break the transmission. Want the replacement to last longer. So to follow the suggestion on ATF.
Quote:
Using anything more aggressive than Dex III on the non pressure switch equipped models will result in harsh shifts.
Does this mean anything higher viscosity than Dex3 is bad or does it mean anything with more friction modifier than Dex 3 is bad or more detergent than Dex3 is bad or something else?

Originally Posted By: David1
You have a 03 Honda and its possible its the original AT Fluid..

I would use the HONDA DW-1 and I will tell you why.

1st Maxx Life is a FULL SYN and it can clean the inside to the point that it clogs the internal trans filter.. and them filters do NOT have a bypass so when your filter gets dirty and plugged up then your transmission blows.
Does this mean DW-1 does not clean the transmission as much as Maxlife? If the transmission is full of clutch debris, might be near failure anyway.

Quote:
So I would stay away from Valvoline max Life.. unless the AT Fluid is fairly clean...

However if its brown and dirty or black then just use the OEM HONDA DW-1

get 3 QTs of Honda DW-1 from the dealer and drain out all that will drain out
and clean the magnet on the ATF Fluid plug and put the drain plug back in and then add 3 QTs of HONDA DW-1

It will give you peace of mind..... ** TRUST ME **
Used only Z1 before my Honda transmission failed. Did not get peace of mind, only a broken transmission.

Quote:
I have used the Castrol Full Sun Multi-Import stuff 1 time...
but since then I have done 3 drain and fills with Honda DW-1
Why so many ATF changes? Was shifting bad? Too much debris on magnetic drain plug? Or something else?

Quote:
Also you might want to get some Lubegaurd RED... It helps keep the Trans running cooler
and its compatible with Honda AT Fluid. Its just a additive to help the trans run cooler

Lubegaurd is Awesome IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back