Waterless...this guy is either an idiot or genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Enough people have done it long enough that it must work reasonably well.

Enough people go to the neighborhood car wash and grab the brush that's sitting in the mud and start scrubbing their vehicle. I don't call that a quality endorsement.
wink.gif

Sir you are indeed behind the times. Common sense must be used in abundance when using these types of products. To totally dismiss them, especially since you've never used ANY of them, is just a bit much. They have their place and can be used safely in most instances. Educate yourself, try some of these products, then speak from experience rather than dunning all of them with no background or knowledge whatsoever.

I'm not saying that they have no place whatsoever. I'd see great use for them for spot cleaning. I've also seen them put to fine, safe use at car shows.

I'm just stating that some of the proponents are a little over the top with how much dirt they claim can be removed and how safely, and, more importantly, how quickly. I'm also stating that I can accomplish something a lot more quickly with a pressure hose.

One of my businesses is involved in distributing a bunch of this stuff, not to mention many, many other chemicals. I know full well what I can accomplish with a pressure hose and appropriate wash chemicals in under five minutes. My skepticism is primarily because this is a solution to a problem I don't have. Water doesn't cost me $5 a gallon. I don't have to engage in a lot of effort to get to a fine cleaning facility. I know what's in car wash chemicals, so I have no reason to claim that something else is gentler on the vehicle or the environment. And, I'm not trying to sell alternatives.

If my vehicle is a disaster, obviously a good, long pressure wash is in order. If my vehicle is a little dusty, a much shorter pressure wash will do the trick. I don't have difficulty accessing a pressure wash facility any time I so choose, nor is the cost any concern. If there's a drought or one is miles away from running water, much less a car wash, so be it.

A pressure washer at paint safe levels stands little chance or removing bonded on contaminants. Even the best wash solution and a pressure washer cannot clean paint the way manual labor can. Additionally, most waterless wash products also have shine enhancers, working much like detail spray. If using a pressure washer one would still need to follow up with a manual step to equal the look of one step with a waterless wash.

Quote:
If my vehicle is a disaster, obviously a good, long pressure wash is in order. If my vehicle is a little dusty, a much shorter pressure wash will do the trick.

A good long pressure wash would only be the very first step to knock off mud or sand, it does not clean the surface well if at all. Then you would need to do a full hand wash and dry. Your knowledge of chemicals and business is all very thrilling I'm sure. Your car washing knowledge using correct methods along with the newer methods available is sorely lacking. To each his own....you continue "rinsing" your cars and I'll take care of mine my way. Good day.

No, bonded on contaminants won't be removed by a pressure washer. I'd prefer a clay bar for that. A hand wash of some sort of the other is needed for a lot of dirty stuff, but that doesn't necessarily imply a waterless wash. And yes, there certainly are shine enhancers in waterless wash and quick detail chemicals. In fact, in some lines, the two products are actually the same.

My preferred method, particularly if there is a lot of dirt, is a hybrid method. I'll use the pressure washer soap to get rid of the bulk of the stuff. Then, I'll go over it again with a good mitt and the pressure washer hose.

I don't even bother with pails, even a two bucket system. A commercial wash with appropriate chemicals can accomplish a lot more than people think, especially combined with friction as needed.

Too many "newer methods" are based upon selling something. The latest is a giant foam spray that looks like the airport's firefighters were there, combined with colored LED lights to make things pleasant for the children.
wink.gif

I'm still very curious, from the guys who do this, how do you avoid marring the paint at all? Obviously, one needs to use a quality microfiber cloth, first off. It's also clear that it should be clean, and turned as needed to keep it that way. The motion is also important. What else am I missing?

I didn't mean to come off as totally dismissive about this method. I'm dismissive of it in my situation specifically, where I'm also dismissive of the two bucket system, simply because of what I have available. In a wider sense, I'm also curious about some of your guys' city bylaws, particularly in drier climates. Calgary, for instance, doesn't allow bucket washing on streets or in driveways. We also know that a lot of condo associations have certain rules. I wonder if this method would be useful to people in Calgary, who otherwise must go to the commercial carwash. Does this method fall afoul of anyone's condo rules?

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I have used and promoted Wet Paint here, the original waterless wash invented in the late 80's, since 2004. I've also tried a dozen others and they all have their place. To me that vehicle was too dirty for a waterless wash to be used safely.

Wet Paint and Poorboy's Spray & Wipe are the two best I have ever used. WP leaves a shine and sealant behind whereas Poorboy's just cleans. They all work without marring if used properly.

This is akin to the 3,000 mile oil change folks. No matter how good the products have gotten there are those that refuse to believe it and refuse to change.

At some point you will have to machine polish the car regardless of how it has been washed, no method is 100% idiot proof.

Rick,

How does WPG compare to this particular aka Chemical Guys Ecosmart product assuming you have used the CG product?

I like chemical guys eco smart but I've never used the other one you're asking about. $18.99 gets you a 16oz concentrated bottle that dilutes to 2 gallons with distilled water. Price is good I think. As long as the car isn't super dirty, I haven't seen any problem. I follow up with a mist and wipe with meguiars d156 and it looks really good and stays clean because I use he California duster pretty much daily.

I have used WPG on similarly dirty car. As a matter of fact, in three years of owning the new vehicle, only twice it has been through touch-less car wash and no other wash apart from WPG. The finish is still swirl free.

Do you have the link for the $18.99 16oz concentrated Ecosmart bottle? Did you also purchase the sprayer with it?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Waterless leaves too little room for error.

That says it all. For me I use the two bucket method.

Let the product do the work instead of muscle and you'll be fine. Moving the wash media across the surface instead of putting downward pressure on the wash media in a traditional wash is one big difference.

Just like claying a car seems a bit different at first. But it's actually very simple in reality.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I waterless wash with two buckets in the winter. You should see my paint in the sun after three years of this and 5 of normal washing. No swirls

That sounds like you're doing a RINSELESS wash, not a WATERLESS one. Big difference.

Correct, rinseless. I'd never do a waterless wash, I had a hard time convincing myself to try the rinseless.

Here is a link to the $18.99 concentrated 16oz Ecosmart bottle from CG. I bought one for myself, and let my buddy try it on his car when he was over. He had me pick one up for him he liked it so much. He lives in an apartment and doesn't have access to a hose, but has a covered parking spot.
I didn't see this one on Amazon, but I bought it at their store in Gardena. You can order from their website, says free shipping over $50 I just saw.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/EcoSmart_Waterless_Car_Wash_Wax_16_oz_p/wac_707_16.htm

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If it is a concentrate, why is it in a spray bottle? Or is the picture wrong?

I figured this would be obvious. It comes in a concentrate, but that spray bottle contains the mix of concentrate and the appropriate amount of water to 'dilute' it to 'use strength'

what are the other things which are a "must buy" from Chemical Guys? Shipping is quite high unless I can find $50 worth of stuff.

what are the other things which are a "must buy" from Chemical Guys? Shipping is quite high unless I can find $50 worth of stuff.

Their stuff isn't worth the money. Stick with Meguiars D115 if you are obsessed with waterless.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Their stuff isn't worth the money. Stick with Meguiars D115 if you are obsessed with waterless.

Are you referring to Chemical Guys waterless wash, or Chemical Guys products in general.

I cannot speak to the waterless wash, however many of the Chemical Guys products are held in high regard. Chemical Guys also make a few products that are relabeled by Adams, which is another well regarded product line.

Why so opposed to CG? I have been pleased by everything so far other than the v7 hybrid stuff. I use meguiars d156 instead of that. The 16oz bottle doesn't have a spray top. Just a cap. Don't know why the pic shows a sprayer. You buy your own sprayer, dilute 2oz product into 32oz distilled water. It works well. I really like their Silk Shine for vinyl, leather, rubber stuff. I like their new car smell air freshener. Smells clean, not exactly like a new car, but very nice. Recently bought their clay block thing, and I like that. They make a good paint sealant as well. I have the Factory Seal paint sealant. I usually buy by the gallon. But the waterless wash stuff was concentrated so the 16oz makes 2 gallons of ready to use product. I thought $20 was pretty reasonable for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back