New STP XL extended life filters spotted @Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Maybe it takes Purolator moving manufacturing to Korea to get some decent quality. Ouch ...
eek.gif

Maybe you ought to change your forum name to Fram0Six.
Maybe someday you can create a post without an emoticon. Ouch yourself.

I don't know why, but the "Ouch yourself" part of the above post made me laugh.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just noticed your post about Motorcraft gold coolant... Man that's expensive $29 a gallon! I would be using that if it was reasonable
Check out some of your local Ford dealers, I've bought it for my trucks at Airport Ford & others in Cincinnati, they even have the 50/50 premix PG.
Yep; it was $17 a jug at my dealer, but he told me the 50/50 was no longer available (at least in my neck of the woods). Distilled water was $0.50 a gallon, so not a big deal.

As more evidence vs pure speculation/hearsay, found a link* to a bitog post for a made in Korea Pronto filter with pics. It is not difficult at all to the similarities of construction to the XL. The coil retainer spring, internal dome coil bypass spring, numbs on the thread end endcap and same baseplate design.

Just add a red colored sealing gasket and silicone adbv, black paint (perhaps media upgrade) and you'll have an XL. The dissection details of the XL can be seen HERE.

It should be noted for reference that Puro filters do NOT use a coil retainer spring, uncovered internal dome bypass, nubs on the thread endcap or a cello baseplate cover.

As specifically noted in the OP though, the ISO efficiency rating of 99%>20um is quite good, if not the regular price.

To me, much like the DriveWorks filter made for AAP and sourced to an unknown manufacturer in China, the XL is a higher end made for AutoZone filter by an unknown manufacturer in S. Korea.

As an aside, imo Fram filtration should be thanking the observant and detail oriented posters in this thread that first pointed out and brought attention to factual information posted including the hotline number AutoZone printed on the box and confirmation. Also for noting baseplate design, coo and other differences and didn't accept off hand the implied relationship ChampLabs/fram filtration as first posted in the OP.

I'll post one pic from thread, others with detail are in the link.

* http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1838720

100_0093.jpg

I've noticed the regular blue can STP's are going away from the e-core design - I bought a S3387a and an S8a yesterday, and they both have metal center tubes and puro-looking baseplates

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I've noticed the regular blue can STP's are going away from the e-core design - I bought a S3387a and an S8a yesterday, and they both have metal center tubes and puro-looking baseplates

Interesting note had not heard that.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls

Needed to recycle some oil at AZ so checked the applications noted plus the 3614 which is also an ecore. All still Champ made ecores here including some with manufacturer dates as late as June of this year.

Bears watching though to see if the blue can STP follow the XL to the same Korean manufacturer.

And BTW, I challenge you (or anyone else for that matter) to go find all the posts where I shill up Frams. Good luck with that, because you will fail. And saying why certain filters are not very good isn't shilling another brand if a brand is never mentioned.

Pages upon pages upon pages of posts by you in this section of BITOG speak to this issue.

If you don't see it, you're kidding yourself.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
And BTW, I challenge you (or anyone else for that matter) to go find all the posts where I shill up Frams. Good luck with that, because you will fail. And saying why certain filters are not very good isn't shilling another brand if a brand is never mentioned.

Pages upon pages upon pages of posts by you in this section of BITOG speak to this issue.

If you don't see it, you're kidding yourself.

Really, that's all you got? Again, I challenge you to go find all my posts shilling up Frams/Utras. If you think (as you claim) I've done it so often then you should have no problem finding proof with actual quotes. Go try ... you'll fail, period.

Honestly the only shilling I see on here is probably from a few Purolator users.
I would like to know the reason we want to buy $9 made in Korea oil filters versus several good USA made choices for the same price.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Your FRAM posts remind of the line in Idiocracy.....

"Brought to you by Carl's Jr."

Just as I thought ... another fail, as usual. No surprise.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back