What's up with Google?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do a search. Choose any link from the search results and click it. Let the page load, then click "back" in your brwoser to return to the search results. Only instead of returning to the search results you get a blank page with the search terms in the search bar. To return to the search results, you have to reload the blank page. How did this get so screwed up? Also, Google once allowed pinpointing exact word matches on pages, but that useful functionality has apparently disappeared.

I don't get that.. On IE I get a really long Google address as the intermediate.

Worse, if Google gives a link to, say, a pdf file, and you right click in IE to download it, the intermediate link comes up as an him file to download, not the actual file.

It looks like I am not the only one having this problem. They say AdBlock may cause this problem, but I haven't used AdBlock in a long time, because UBloc is so much less of a resource hog. I thought it was maybe a corrupt history plist, but no. Not that having to reload is a big deal, but it is an extra step that should not be necessary.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Do a search. Choose any link from the search results and click it. Let the page load, then click "back" in your brwoser to return to the search results. Only instead of returning to the search results you get a blank page with the search terms in the search bar. To return to the search results, you have to reload the blank page. How did this get so screwed up? Also, Google once allowed pinpointing exact word matches on pages, but that useful functionality has apparently disappeared.

Someone is between you and Google intercepting your traffic and changing it. I've seen it happen in hotels with "free wifi" quite often - the ISP inserts ad traffic in your browser conversation.

I feel you pain. I have had the same problem on Chrome/Linux for a while. I have not been able to solve it. Very annoying. I see a message about a cache flash by in the status bar. Maybe it has something to do with cache settings.

For exact word searches, you can usually put the string in double quotes to match exactly on that phrase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
For exact word searches, you can usually put the string in double quotes to match exactly on that phrase.

Also, put a Plus sign in front to force Google to match it and not ignore it. Though, this no longer works all the time.

Google made itself famous by providing fast full text search, back when everyone else was doing ranked, curated common search terms. Now that's all Google wants to do, and forcing Google to do full text search is getting to be impossible.

It looks like I am not the only one having this problem. They say AdBlock may cause this problem, but I haven't used AdBlock in a long time, because UBloc is so much less of a resource hog. I thought it was maybe a corrupt history plist, but no. Not that having to reload is a big deal, but it is an extra step that should not be necessary.

I just tried it for you in the following browsers and did not experience the issue you talk of. It goes back to the Google search page with the info I entered showing. You may have some malware redirecting you.

IE11 ( version 11.0.9600.17937 running AdBlackPlus )
FireFox( version 40.0.3 )
Chrome ( version 44.0.2403.157 m )

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I just tried it for you in the following browsers and did not experience the issue you talk of. It goes back to the Google search page with the info I entered showing. You may have some malware redirecting you.

Three of my friends have the same problem. Different sytems, different browsers, PC and Mac. No malware here.

I wonder if all of this has to do with Google's "Search as you type" feature. If enabled, Google is trying to load up results as you type; and I have had it hiccup or even completely stall on me enough times that I disabled it long ago. I wonder if in hitting "Back" you're pressing upon Google's servers to try to load results so quickly that there is a stall resulting in there being the search query terms present but no results.

I have mine set to open a new tab when I click on any results, but I can't remember where the setting is!

Three of my friends have the same problem. Different sytems, different browsers, PC and Mac. No malware here.

Ok, then I would say it is some type of setting you and your friends have in common then because as said I do not experience it in any of the browsers. Others here have posted they do not as well. So if it was a universal issue we would all experience it. IMO the place to start looking now is on your own system. I don't mean that offensive either. I am simply offering suggestions on where to look.

Question, have you tried a different search engine like Bing to see if the problem happens there too? If it does then it definitely is on your end. If it only happens on Goggle then something about Google and your system are clashing. You can either attempt to figure it out, live with it, or use a different search engine.

As a note. Just out of curiosity, I fired up the laptop with Windows 10 and checked in the new Edge browser and in IE11 again. I don't have FF or GC on the laptop right now so I didn't check those obviously. I could not duplicate your issue on the laptop either. So, two different computers, 2 different OS's( Win 8.1 & 10 ), and 4 different browsers( all latest release versions )and I could not duplicate what happens to you on Google search. FWIW.

I did a quick search and this setting seems to be behind a lot of the problems for many( not all but many and it is a cross browser platform fix when it works ). Maybe this will fix it for you if you haven't already tried it( if you posted you have my apologies )...

Open Google
Click on Settings( bottom right of screen )
Click Search Settings
Find Google Instant predictions
Select Never show Instant results
Click save
Close browser > reopen > try search and see if it helps

Also, out of curiosity, when this happens are you signed into a Google account or not? If it happens when signed in try signing out and see if it still does it.

Another very easy and simple solution( not perfect but workable )is to just right click on the search result you want to view and open it in a new tab. Then when done close that tab and the search results in the original tab are there.

Last edited:
I did a quick search and this setting seems to be behind a lot of the problems for many( not all but many and it is a cross browser platform fix when it works ). Maybe this will fix it for you if you haven't already tried it( if you posted you have my apologies )...

Open Google
Click on Settings( bottom right of screen )
Click Search Settings
Find Google Instant predictions
Select Never show Instant results
Click save
Close browser > reopen > try search and see if it helps

That did the trick. Many thanks!

Quote:
Also, out of curiosity, when this happens are you signed into a Google account or not? If it happens when signed in try signing out and see if it still does it.

Nope, being logged into a Google account has no effect on the behavior.

Quote:
Another very easy and simple solution( not perfect but workable )is to just right click on the search result you want to view and open it in a new tab. Then when done close that tab and the search results in the original tab are there.

True, but not really faster than hitting the reload button.

Glad it fixed it.

I told my buddies and your solution works for two of them. The third one insists on having that to me annoying autocomplete feature. It's his loss, what can I say?

I love autocomplete feature and I love the many google word-search suggestions as I type the word. Both features work perfectly with Firefox..... any edition, including the most current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back