AGM Battery Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I bought a 2011 Jeep G.C. recently and it has an AGM battery hidden under the front seat. At 55K miles and four model years old should I consider a replacement before our typical Wisconsin winter?

If yes, is there a recommended brand I should look for?

Batteries Plus's "X2-Power" AGM batteries; according to an earlier post they are made by Deka (East Penn).

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Test it to see how many Amps it puts out...no point in trashing a good battery

Originally Posted By: Falken
Don't AGM batteries last longer than 4 years? Lead-acid they say should be load tested at 3-4 years before change...

+1 - on both! I would not replace an AGM battery without testing it first. AGM are specifically designed to last longer than lead/acid with almost zero maintenance required.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Test it to see how many Amps it puts out...no point in trashing a good battery

Originally Posted By: Falken
Don't AGM batteries last longer than 4 years? Lead-acid they say should be load tested at 3-4 years before change...

+1 - on both! I would not replace an AGM battery without testing it first. AGM are specifically designed to last longer than lead/acid with almost zero maintenance required.

Not necessarily. AGM's are just like wet, just with fiberglass matting...
They are not bulletproof. IMO, they require some more ~care~ than wet cells.

IMO, wet cells can go 6+ the distance, as long as you open her up and make sure it's at proper level.

AGM's like to be kept topped off at full brim.
Shallow cycle charges on AGM's will defeat this, depending on the charging system of the vehicle

Heat kills batteries not cold.

Cold just makes the batteries output lower.

The exception is cold and a discharged battery.. it will freeze.

The best AGM for the money is the sears diehard platinum

They are rebadged odyssey batteries iirc.

Last edited:
I will get it tested and go from there.

I have never heard of any of these manufacturers before. My local Blains sells a Duration battery, but unknown who makes it. It was easier with the old 'made by Johnson Controls' batteries.

My wife also owns a 2011 JGC- I don't plan on replacing the battery until it fails. Given that its located in about the best possible place (inside the air-conditioned volume of the cabin where its protected from extreme under-hood heat) it should have a VERY long life unless it gets repeatedly run down, and assuming the OEM battery is even halfway-decent quality.

When it does come time to replace it, it'll be with either an Odyssey (Sears Diehard Platinum) or Northstar (X2 Power).

Originally Posted By: dave180
It was easier with the old 'made by Johnson Controls' batteries.

Yes, then you KNEW you were getting a soon-to-be boat-anchor. :p

Napa's batteries are Deka, including their Napa Legend Premium line.

Sears DieHard Advanced Gold is also a Deka AGM. The DieHard Platinum is an Enersys/Odyssey AGM.

The AAP Autocraft Platinum is a JCI-made AGM. Not my first choice over the Deka options, but could be a good value if they don't make the other AGM's in your size, and AAP does have those online discounts, too.

Interstate batteries are very good, and I'm sure their AGM's are no exception. Also made by JCI.

I would avoid Exide since they're not as good. Pep Boys Bosch is Exide.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
Actually the BP X2 out here in the Northeast, are made by Northstar.

Wow that's surprising, since Deka batteries are made in the northeast! (East Penn batteries really are made in Eastern Pennsylvania!)

Both my Hyundais came with sealed AGMs. The '08 Accent is going on strong as ever on the original, so is the Gen Coupe but I don't drive it much.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Given that its located in about the best possible place (inside the air-conditioned volume of the cabin where its protected from extreme under-hood heat) it should have a VERY long life unless it gets repeatedly run down, and assuming the OEM battery is even halfway-decent quality.

This. That battery should last 7 plus years in that environment, I would think. You probably have several more years out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back