Winter or Summer gasoline for OPE in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to see what others think. For about 20 years now, I stock up on gas for the winter to use in the generator if there is a power outage. I also use it for the snow blower which works out to about 2 gallons for the whole season on average. I have an 80 gallon fuel tank and a few 5 gallon jugs I fill up and add Sta-Bil usually after Thanksgiving time. This means I most likely fill up with winter fuel. During the summer, I use this fuel in the boats, OPE or cars and finish it off by mid-august. The other day, I had a friend of mine said I should be filling up before fall so I get summer blended gasoline which he claims would be better even in the winter for the generator. I have never had issues using winter gas in the summer. I was wondering if summer gas for the generator in the dead of winter would okay. The generator is non catalyst.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Yup, summer blend will make the generator real easy to start on a zero degree day.

Sarcasm sometimes doesn't come over the internet very well.

If your system has worked for twenty years it'll probably keep working. If the gas is primarily intended for winter storms it's probably a good idea to use winter gas.

Once you get it running, it will probably run on summer or winter.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about summer or winter in the 80 gallon tank and just be concerned that it's fresh.

I'd have the current season's fuel in the 5 gallon cans and rotate those so you have fresh fuel to get things started.

Once it's warmed up on cold weather, you could likely refuel with whats in the big tank and not worry.

That and/or a can of starting fluid and you are likely good to go.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Just wanted to see what others think. For about 20 years now, I stock up on gas for the winter to use in the generator if there is a power outage. I also use it for the snow blower which works out to about 2 gallons for the whole season on average. I have an 80 gallon fuel tank and a few 5 gallon jugs I fill up and add Sta-Bil usually after Thanksgiving time. This means I most likely fill up with winter fuel. During the summer, I use this fuel in the boats, OPE or cars and finish it off by mid-august. The other day, I had a friend of mine said I should be filling up before fall so I get summer blended gasoline which he claims would be better even in the winter for the generator. I have never had issues using winter gas in the summer. I was wondering if summer gas for the generator in the dead of winter would okay. The generator is non catalyst.

Yup, summer blend will make the generator real easy to start on a zero degree day.

Winter gas and summer gas have nothing to do with ease of starting. It has to do with with the RVP number, and what product is used to control the RVP. For example, in winter butane can be blended (plentiful and cheap) with gas, but it can't be used in summer (at least not as much) because it will boil off.

Summer grade gasoline has a different RVP than winter gas, which makes it somewhat more eco-friendly, but slightly more expensive. The higher the RVP number, the more prone a fuel is to evaporating and contributing to smog/ozone formation.

Winter gas is a cheap way to get rid of refinery waste- all the lighter fraction stuff that drives the vapor pressure up, increases vapor lock risk, and increases ground-level ozone because it causes the fuel system to vent on moderately warm days (even with EFI you can get vapor in fuel rails with that cat whizz).

Originally Posted By: javacontour
It may impact cold starting of a carbureted engine more than in a fuel injected engine.
Ah, someone who understands "heat of vaporization". BTW you folks in the cold belt may have noticed how gas grill tanks and spray cans don't deliver as well in cold weather. One of the reasons butane is used as a component in winter is to "assist" carbs in turning liquid into vapor. Injectors simply produce droplets small enough to combust even though they are not vapor. In warmer weather, butane becomes a liability for evaporative emission control because it changes state too easily and in vacuum fuel transfer systems, (diaphragm pumps at the engine end) can cause vapor lock when butane turns to a gas in the fuel line. This, of course, does not happen with a line under positive pressure.

In warmer weather, butane becomes a liability for evaporative emission control because it changes state too easily and in vacuum fuel transfer systems, (diaphragm pumps at the engine end) can cause vapor lock when butane turns to a gas in the fuel line. This, of course, does not happen with a line under positive pressure.

Actually, it can and does happen in MPEFI systems. Especially in fuel-injection systems that don't recirculate fuel through the rail and back ot the tank. There was a TSB on early 2000's Jeep 4.0s for vapor lock in the fuel rail and #3 injector. When I had my 2001, I ONLY experienced it with winter fuel, never summer fuel.

Yes, engines may start marginally quicker in sub-zero temps when using high-vapor pressure fuel, but they'll start after a few compressions to warm the cylinders even with "summer" fuel- as evidenced by the fact that summer/winter fuel changes didn't even exist prior to the 1980s.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
It may impact cold starting of a carbureted engine more than in a fuel injected engine.
Ah, someone who understands "heat of vaporization". BTW you folks in the cold belt may have noticed how gas grill tanks and spray cans don't deliver as well in cold weather. One of the reasons butane is used as a component in winter is to "assist" carbs in turning liquid into vapor. Injectors simply produce droplets small enough to combust even though they are not vapor. In warmer weather, butane becomes a liability for evaporative emission control because it changes state too easily and in vacuum fuel transfer systems, (diaphragm pumps at the engine end) can cause vapor lock when butane turns to a gas in the fuel line. This, of course, does not happen with a line under positive pressure.

As a camping and backpacking guy, I recall that the small thin-walled backpacking stove "cartridges" typically use a propane-butane, propane-isobutane, or propane/butane/isobutane blend. Actually - approaching cooler temps, the propane is what allows there to be reasonable pressure, although at even colder temps the propane preferentially vaporizes. 100% propane is better, but requires a thicker canister.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Winter gas and summer gas have nothing to do with ease of starting. It has to do with with the RVP number, and what product is used to control the RVP. For example, in winter butane can be blended (plentiful and cheap) with gas, but it can't be used in summer (at least not as much) because it will boil off.

Summer grade gasoline has a different RVP than winter gas, which makes it somewhat more eco-friendly, but slightly more expensive. The higher the RVP number, the more prone a fuel is to evaporating and contributing to smog/ozone formation.

I remember one year around the transition time, our Governor in California authorized early deliveries of winter blend fuel. There were several reasons for fuel shortages, including the transition, where the supplies were already there but normally couldn't be released until a specific date. Prices were spiking and that actually helped with prices.

I've used leftover summer gas in the snow blower and leftover winter in the lawnmower many a year and never noticed any issues either with starting nor running. Being fairly fresh gas in both cases probably helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back