Grilling: Charcoal or gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use gas. I have a Weber Genesis Natural Gas model. I have a gas line to the house so no tanks. I love charcoal but it upsets my wifes system badly so it's gas for us.

Both! I have a Weber Genesis propane and the Weber charcoal grill.

I use the propane grill when it's rainy/windy outside. I use the charcoal the rest of the time.

I use the Weber charcoal chimney. I think I paid $15 for it at Lowe's. A wadded up piece of newspaper below and your coals are lit in less than 10 minutes. No muss, no fuss and no lighter fluid taste. Just enough time to sip a beer before it's time to start spreading the hot coals. Save some $$ not buying lighter fluid too.

I have some steaks for this evening. I always do my Thanksgiving turkey on my Weber charcoal grill. If you've never tried it - do it at least once! Very easy, low maintenance, and my family loves it.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: philipp10
I have had both. Gas never seems to get hot enough and charcoal is a hassle. I do want to try a new Weber that is charcoal with a propane start. Seems to me the best of both worlds. One downfall of charcoal, I seem to be a bit allergic to it.

They're not really that new. I've had one for 6 years.

It's been great.

No mess, no lighter fluid, no waiting 3-4 days. Throw a few bricks of charcoal in, turn the propane on, hit the igniter button, let it sit for about 10 minutes, turn off the propane, and it's ready to go.

When you're done, close the lid and shut the vents. This will leave some charcoal for next time that you can add some fresh bricks to.

It is a great combination of convenience and flavor.

Correct, not new, just new to me. I never heard of one till last spring. Can I ask, do you ever run both the charcoal AND propane. I like my grill crazy hot.

For regular grilling I have a Weber Genesis that is plumbed into our propane system. I can always plank something for a light smoked flavor. Not enough heat? I can run the Genesis up to 600+ degrees, even when I put the griddle on it.

For real smoked flavor I use the Bradley, and when appropriate finish on the grill.

I have had both. Gas never seems to get hot enough

Really? Our Weber doesn't seem to have that problem. It gets plenty hot to sear steaks.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
I have had both. Gas never seems to get hot enough and charcoal is a hassle. I do want to try a new Weber that is charcoal with a propane start. Seems to me the best of both worlds. One downfall of charcoal, I seem to be a bit allergic to it.

They're not really that new. I've had one for 6 years.

It's been great.

No mess, no lighter fluid, no waiting 3-4 days. Throw a few bricks of charcoal in, turn the propane on, hit the igniter button, let it sit for about 10 minutes, turn off the propane, and it's ready to go.

When you're done, close the lid and shut the vents. This will leave some charcoal for next time that you can add some fresh bricks to.

It is a great combination of convenience and flavor.

Correct, not new, just new to me. I never heard of one till last spring. Can I ask, do you ever run both the charcoal AND propane. I like my grill crazy hot.

Yes, you can do that. My wife has done it a few times when she has forgotten to add some charcoal before lighting.

Natural lump charcoal and gas grill. I light the charcoal in a chimney starter and it doesn't take too long for it to be ready.

Gas is for quick grilling or when I do not want to smell like smoke.

I use charcoal down here, very good flavor for steaks and chicken.

You don't get the same flavor with gas.

It is not too hard to get a charcoal fire started with instant light charcoal. One match and 30 minutes.

You can get coals ready much faster with a hair-dryer or a small squirrel-cage blower. I use the later, but the former will do in a pinch.

Also good for getting a second batch up to speed when the fire has died down.

What takes forever? I can get charcoal going in 10-15 minutes, which is just prep and beer time anyway. And I can get the temp correct with charcoal visually, I have no idea what 7 means on a gas grill knob.

Last edited:
Both!

I have an old weber performer charcoal the gas start. Its like my weekend grill.

But sometimes on a weeknight I dont want to inhale a smokestack of charcoal and smell like a forest fire, so propane it is!

I use propane but depending on the meat, I'll add a smoke box full of applewood or mesquite chips for added flavor. Salmon turns out really good with light salt, some pepper and a nice smokey grilling.

I really want to get a pellet smoker to start venturing into the good slow smoked stuff.

Real wood charcoal for us, sometimes supplemented with apple wood, or maple, or cherry.
I love tandoori chicken or goat and charcoal is perfect fit for that. Also with charcoal, you never run out of propane half way through. We had a propane bbq but the burners rusted out and it seems you have to spend $1k+ to get the right stainless steel or cast burners, so we bought a weber charcoal and never wished we had propane again.

Charcoal. Everything. Haven't touched propane in over 7 years. I'm a Weber [censored]. Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Smoker.

Lump charcoal in almost every grilling situation, but Kingsford in the smoker for consistency and long burn. I light everything off in a chimney with paraffin cubes, ready to go in 20 min tops. Smoker is always a minion burn.

Originally Posted By: cutter
What takes forever? I can get charcoal going in 10-15 minutes, which is just prep and beer time anyway. And I can get the temp correct with charcoal visually, I have no idea what 7 means on a gas grill knob.

+1

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back