Serious oil burn and bad smell problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

i have an old ford with 2 liter pinto engine as my first car.

first time i got car i changed oil with castrol 5w40 and engine drank it like water

switched 10w60 mobil 1, same problem

and valvoline maxlife 10w40, it been less than 1000km i already added 1.25lt (topped with shell 20w50)

so as you can read i chose wrong oil for my car and problem got worse

now i have very bad smell like burnt oil if i open windows, light blue colour smoke from exhaust and smoke around oil pan area.

car didnt leak oil on the street while parked or running.

so restore the engine best way but what should i do now with little budget ?

liqui moly 20w50 touring good quality and less evapour oil in market
is it necessary or shell 20w50 would be nice ?

and this 2 additives

liqui moly oil leak stop
liqui moly oil smoke stop

shold i use them together ?

when i buy this car no problem like this (2 years ago 5000km before, i didnt use car much)
but with my wrong oil choice problem got worse and i need to stop smell and blue smoke

thank you

oil is getting past the rings. probably coked up pretty good or possibly has broken rings. I would remove spark plugs and do a piston soak first. After that do a good italian tune up. If you have broken or cracked rings then only a rebuild will help you. Could also be valve stem seals leaking.

No special oil is going to help you, just start with the easy stuff first like seeing if your spark plugs are oily then work your way to the decision of what it is causing it.

It's not oil. The engine seems to be leaking inside and out. You can't fix things by just pouring stuff in. Sorry.

I'm not sure if this engine has one, but a plugged Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve might explain part of the problem. If it's plugged, pressure builds up inside the engine and forces motor oil past the rings, where it is burned causing the smoke and bad smell.

If there is one (and I don't know this engine or what is done in Turkey) it should be found, checked and cleaned (which sometimes works) or better yet replaced. This is a low cost approach that might improve the situation.

I highly doubt your original choice for oil had anything to do with your oil burning today. Its an old car, old cars sometimes burn oil. Your only choice is to install new piston rings. IMO, just drive the car and add oil as needed, it's a lot cheaper and easier.

Last edited:
Those engines are famed for having bad valve stem seals(usually by 60-70K mi), smoking and getting 200mi or less per quart... Only fix is replace which assuming you have access to compressed air and spring compressor isn't a bad job, just a bit time consuming... I've never seen any additive help, often seals are cracked apart...

Unless it's blowing oil out the filler, the bottom end is probably OK, are stout little engines...

2.0 Pinto-still the only engine I've ever blown up, ran it out of oil. Use the thickest oil you can get away with (that will start cold) & just keep adding it, can't imagine Turkey gets that cold?

I seem to recall there was a problem with an Oil spray bar under the valve cover on those engines.

Never had one, just a thought.

Valve seals are usually cheap, it's worth a shot. Easier (and safer) than using compressed air to hold the valves up is to feed a large amount of soft rope into the cylinder and slowly turn the motor over by hand until it binds.

Does it show blue smoke more under acceleration or when you back off on the throttle?

Is it worse sometimes more than others?

Originally Posted By: expat
Does it show blue smoke more under acceleration or when you back off on the throttle?

Is it worse sometimes more than others?

first start and reverse move, make little blue mist around backside of car.

hard acceleration or normal driving not blue mist but burnt oil smell fills inside the car if i open windows.

at idle, car sounds "paf paf paf"
every "paf" light blue smoke out exhaust

Consider pulling the spark plugs, and look at each plug as you take it out.

I suspect one plug might be Black and oily.

If that is the case, you may well have broken rings on the piston in that cylinder.

Check the operation of the PCV and breather filter/plumbing before you do anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back