WSS-M2C946-A vs. dexos1, what are the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lubrizol has a spider chart for GF-5, SN and dexos1 but I cannot find how the Ford spec WSS-M2C946-A overlays with these others.

As about every conventional 5w-30 sold here also meets WSS-M2C-946A, I'd suggest the "SN" part of the spider graph is the equivalent. Meeting Dexos1 requires at least a synthetic blend making it a more stringent standard than Ford's.

Originally Posted By: Danh
As about every conventional 5w-30 sold here also meets WSS-M2C-946A, I'd suggest the "SN" part of the spider graph is the equivalent. Meeting Dexos1 requires at least a synthetic blend making it a more stringent standard than Ford's.

Not quite equivalent, but not too far off SN. Ford engines can use a better oil by selection ACEA A1 or A5 with dexos1, then you know that oil has been tested thoroughly to perform.

Best point in Dexos is reduction in formation of deposits from increased solvency (detergency without much more of detergent add), from the syn part base, and better compatibility with oxigenated fuels (E10 to E85) by wider emulsification capability. Even though a GTL makes less deposits than any dexos ... It's all very mild improvment in relation to WSS-M2C946 motorcraft specs, only considerable at longer drain intervals. In shorter drain, both gives clean engines. That's from an oxidation perspective. In spite the biggest cause of sludge in modern oils are mostly external from the lube system (soot contaminants + solids + heat = sludge).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Try this...

http://lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html

I'm not seeing Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec there.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back