Oil for Toyota 4Y Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's an appropriate oil to be running in this engine? Have two that are used in forklift applications. Currently using PP 5W30. Would there be anything better to be putting in this? I can get buckets of 0W40 HDEO Synthetic for about 4.75/Quart.

The Y engines were used in Hi Lux utes and Hi Ace vans in the '80's and '90's and were one of the most common engines on NZ roads in that period. They took abuse and neglect and were filled with ''oil'', that's what people asked for and what they got - what sort of oil wasn't even considered, it was just oil. Sure they sometimes died, but not from the wrong oil. Heads got soft if over heated too much. Most would've been run on 15/40 or 20/50, going as light as 10/40 would be unusual.

They are always parked inside, one is newer than the other. The older one has some more trouble starting after sitting for more than 36 hours. 4500 Hours and 1500 Hours on the units. What would be a good OCI for these? I usually do once a year or every 300 hours. They run on propane.

forklifts are easy on oil, use the HDEO and know that is the best you can put in the engines. I worked at a forklift dealership for 17 years and at an independent fleet shop for 4 years. don't forget the trans oil and hydraulic oil changes. Taken care of and with luck I have seen many high use forklifts with proper maintenance last 30,000 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back