Low fat vs. Regular milk, big difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there really a big difference between Low fat and Regular milk? My wife seems to think that if we drink regular milk, that we're going to be having a lot more cholesterol and fat. I read somewhere that it's not really that bad. Any comments or proof to show the wife? Thanks

Been drinking 2% for the last 30 years. Whole milk now tastes too rich to me. I know that's of no help to you.

Milk fat is measured by weight. Low fat milk has 2% or 5 grams per cup and whole milk has about 3.5% fat. The difference is 1.5% by weight. Whether or not it matters depends on your total fat intake. I usually go with the 2% bovine growth hormone delivery system.

Skim milk for the last 30 years. Don't drink your fat, save those calories for something better like a bit of bacon or steak!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Milk fat is measured by weight. Low fat milk has 2% or 5 grams per cup and whole milk has about 3.5% fat. The difference is 1.5% by weight.

The absolute difference is 75%, which is a very significant difference, mathematically speaking. Personally, I drink the high test stuff, as it were, but the difference is there, and my metabolism is off the charts, unfortunately.

if you don't drinks tons of milk a day drink the real stuff. Skim milk is water with white food coloring in it. Its like eating frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. Just don't do it every day but when you do, do it right!

Last edited:
After my quad bypass ten years ago, I took a dietery class on what to eat and avoid. The BIG avoid was milk fat in any form. Skim milk only, NO cheese (pizza, etc) and very small amounts of red meat. I have held to this for ten years now and intend to keep on it in the years to come.

I know someone at work who drinks 2% because whole milk causes his cholesterol numbers to go up rather significantly. I mostly drink 2% now but on occasion I'll grab a gallon of the real stuff.

It's interesting that whole milk nowadays is allowed to have less fat than it used to. Back when I was a kid it had to contain a minimum of 4% milkfat, I think the threshold now is 3.25% or thereabouts.

At the quantities of milk that mammals are designed for post weaning, you could drink cream and it wouldn't make an iota of difference.

But as certain groups of humans seem to think there's some necessity to drink gallons of the stuff, there is to those.

If you could have singularly grass fed milk, go the regular, as it's probably as rich a source of Omega 3s as anything else you can obtain.

Grain fed...don't go near it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Avoid the milk altogether.

Yep. "Does a body good" might be the single most successful marketing campaign of all time.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Originally Posted By: CT8
Avoid the milk altogether.

Yep. "Does a body good" might be the single most successful marketing campaign of all time.
Even more successful was the one where they sell you lowfat milk for the same price because of some perceived health benefits. Then they can sell the expensive cream.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Haven't had milk since my wife got us started on almond milk two years ago.

The say there is hardly no almonds in almond milk.

I've was raised on 2% due to my Mother's concerns about my weight as a child. I now drink about 2 gallons a week of 1%. Even 2% now taste rich to me now.

Whole milk, or even cream, over Grape Nuts or Granola with strawberries is heaven.

You get used to what you get used to. I note the flavor shift in fall when the cows get worse food.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Haven't had milk since my wife got us started on almond milk two years ago.

The say there is hardly no almonds in almond milk.

I've was raised on 2% due to my Mother's concerns about my weight as a child. I now drink about 2 gallons a week of 1%. Even 2% now taste rich to me now.

There's less sugar in almond milk and fats. Did try flax seed milk...awesome.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Milk fat is measured by weight. Low fat milk has 2% or 5 grams per cup and whole milk has about 3.5% fat. The difference is 1.5% by weight. Whether or not it matters depends on your total fat intake. I usually go with the 2% bovine growth hormone delivery system.

Thats incorrect

2% is reduced fat
1% is low fat

so lowfat with 1% fat vs whole with 3.25% to 3.5% fat

so its around 70% less fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back