2.2 ecotec under valve cover 150k mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the valve cover off to replace the gasket so i figured id snap some pics.

Car is a 2004 saturn ion with 150k miles. Engine is a 2.2 Ecotec. I really like this car its been the most reliable one ive had yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
mine was actually pretty tight thankfully. no more than a 1/4 in. of play.
thts good. I cant tell u how many 2.2 eco tech engines come into the shop at work with a check engine light and codes 4 a stretched chain.

Looks good. It must be the camera angle, the camshaft looks worn in the second picture but I think it's the camera angle.

You will notice the build up of deposits on the camshafts at the transmission end of the engine. This is normal but the use of a synthetic oil will help to remove them. The chain tensioner has been upgraded to part number 12608580 and I suggest you do that while you have the valve cover off. Still it looks pretty good.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Looks good. It must be the camera angle, the camshaft looks worn in the second picture but I think it's the camera angle.

Agreed, it definitely looks like it has a huge ridge on the right side of the pic... Mb just the lighting

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The chain tensioner has been upgraded to part number 12608580

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
What type of oil was used?

I bought this car from my step mom a couple years ago and according to the maintainance records she gave me it was all just 5w30 conventional at the local dealership. Oci was usually 3-5k miles. Since I've owned it I've used Mobil 1 or Pennzoil ultra platinum. Ive been changing every 6 months which has been 6-7.5k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Agreed, it definitely looks like it has a huge ridge on the right side of the pic... Mb just the lighting

It's part of the casting... no wear. The part worth noting is directly right of the bearing cap.

The casting looks dreadful on camshaft but that came that way from the factory likely. It almost looks Chinese quality.

The balance of under cover looks quite nice!

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
mine was actually pretty tight thankfully. no more than a 1/4 in. of play.
thts good. I cant tell u how many 2.2 eco tech engines come into the shop at work with a check engine light and codes 4 a stretched chain.

Really? A code for a stretched chain? What kind of shop do you work at?
crazy2.gif

Bluestream I think he means the stretched chain will throw misfire codes, Crank and Cam codes that they diagnose to be from a known issue of stretched timing chain.

Just a guess on my part though....

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The chain tensioner has been upgraded to part number 12608580 and I suggest you do that while you have the valve cover off.

Got that tensioner replaced. Thanks again for the advice. Seems like the chain might be a little quieter but man that was kind of terrifying to start it up the first time after haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back