2003 Ford Escape V6 Lifter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Escape V6 with 50,000 Miles that my daughter uses now and then. I was running 5W20 Pennzoil Platinum but the engine developed a lifter tick when cold. (It goes away when warm) switched to 5W30 PYB in hopes the thicker oil would help but no change. It sounds a bit like an exhaust leak, but I think it the lifters. Engine seems very clean when looking in the oil fill hole.

I need the best snake oil BITOG can recommend to fix this noise, cost is no object!...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Have you tried a different oil filter?

No, using a Mororcraft filter now and in the past.

The same model year of Mazda Tribute (identical engine, and just a re-badged Ford Escape) had a TSB to diagnose it, and they seem to blame the left bank's camshaft caps. "Some vehicles equipped with the 3.0L engine may exhibit a ticking noise from the left bank cylinder head, with the engine at normal operating temperature."
http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/showthread.php?threadid=20050

Other engines that have had actual lifter noise, if thats the case here, have hydraulic valve lash adjuster problems with oil aeration or sticking lifters. Its very puzzling what might be the answer here.

If its a stuck lifter, you can try putting in the oil fill hole the recommended amount of Gumout MultiSystem (has PEA in it) & running it for 500 miles before an oil change, which might help. Then use one of those 5-minute engine flushes sold at Walmart or autoparts stores.

ExMacina, about 5min flushes. It is plain old kerosene, nothing more. Not for me.
If it has vvt it may always make noies. The other 2.3's sound horrible after they got vvt. They sound like they don't have oil in them.

-Harvey

My 07 fusion se 2.3 16v dohc-vvt has 210k on it, bought w/ 17k program lease. Has a tick that sounds like exhaust leaks but its not. It is the vvt for the epa.
The 06 had 290k bought off trailer new from day one too. RL, M1, pyb, bulk dino no difference. 0w20 to 20w50 never left.
Was quietest with 0/5w-20. MMO seemed to help. It thins the oil alittle and it flow better thru the vvt and lifters. It also slowly cleans these systems too.

-harvey

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator, which often tear so it probably has plenty of flow!

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Look at the exhaust manifold studs carefully where they bolt to the head, the are famous for breaking.

Very true. If the noise goes away completely when the exhaust manifold is up to normal temperature, this could be the issue.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Look at the exhaust manifold studs carefully where they bolt to the head, the are famous for breaking.

Thanks, I will check this out...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator, which often tear so it probably has plenty of flow!

The ticking started with the old oil/filter...new oil/filter made no diff, so I dont think both filters were bad

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Just drive it and don't waste your money on snake oil.

I would but looking to sell it this fall...too many issues with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back