redline 40wt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some 40wt redline off eBay cheap. On the back it says it contains no detergents. How about if I run this a while then put some cd2 detergent additive in to get some additional time. I'd like to keep it in for a few years. Or mix it with some high detergent synthetic. But I'd rather not cut it with cheap grp3.

Don't esters have inherent cleaning abilities?

I don't think detergents clean the engine, they keep the oil from forming deposits. But then what do I know.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I don't think detergents clean the engine, they keep the oil from forming deposits.

Do you mean dispersants?

Regardless. Is there an additive I can add to this racing oil to make it into a heavy duty street oil.

That is the question.

I don't think it is their race oil:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=15&pcid=1

Originally Posted By: Redline

-Reformulated for improved frictional properties

-Special detergents for improved lubricity and less detonation

-Polyol ester base stocks provide more stability and film strength when exposed to excess fuel dilution

-Each of these products has no less than 2200ppm of zinc and phosphorus for antiwear

-Each race oil product is a multi-grade, offering 2-4% more power than oil of a similar viscosity - 20WT is a 5W20, 30WT is a 10W30, 40WT is a 15W40, 50WT is a 15W50

-Improved protection at startup, lower oil temp, cleanliness

-Remember to change these oils more frequently than regular motor oils

Nevermind, looks like "back in the day" their race oils were non-detergent:

http://www.continentalmotorsport.com/catalog/onlinecatalogoilsystemredline.htm

Quote:
The Red Line Motor Oil is a detergent oil designed to offer good protection over an extended drain interval and to keep combustion by products in suspension. The Race Oil is a non detergent oil designed to make the most power and offer the best protection, but not recommended on the street. The lack of detergents will slightly reduce friction, but consequently will need to be changed more frequently. In street applications, we generally follow the original manufactured viscosity recommendation with Red Line Oil, a low viscosity can be safely used do to superior protection offered.

This must be some pretty old oil dude....
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Nevermind, looks like "back in the day

This must be some pretty old oil dude....
crazy2.gif

I don't doubt it. Got it for $5 qt. Its green.

If its 40WT, it is their racing oil, and they say it's not for street use owing to its minimal detergency. Adding your own detergent is at least acknowledging the issue, but does CD2 give any guidance on how much to add? And what unexpected chemical reactions could occur with the additive package? Going two years on such a blend seems risky to me.

Or maybe use the 40WT as an additive to boost the zddp of other oils you use. It has 2200 ppm of Phosphorous, which is plenty stout.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Or maybe use the 40WT as an additive to boost the zddp of other oils you use. It has 2200 ppm of Phosphorous, which is plenty stout.

Supposedly, it also has more moly than their "street' labelled oils as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back