A Robertson tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven thousands of Deckmate Deck screws. They came with a matching phillips head bit, but one could use a square bit in them and suffer less cam out/ stripping.

Recently I saw they switched to a torx drive head. While there is even less chance of cam out/ stripping, they do not take driving them at off angles as nicely as a phillips or Robertson.

And of course if one needs to back out such a screw at a later date, one better be able to find the appropriate torx bit, or the job comes to a halt until one is acquired, with a maelstrom of curses thrown during the search.

Whereas if one had even a number 2 phillips in the older deckmates one could still remove it.

but that could be just me

In a pinch, you could grind a square end Robertson tip on an old screwdriver.

Just try THAT with Philips or Torx!

Most bowling lanes are installed using robertson screws

If you have an impact driver, robertsons are a great choice for your fasteners used.
Due to the tapered nature of robertson drive, the screw will lock onto the bit without any magnet needed. So you put your deck screw onto the bit, and it will just stay there as you line up and get ready to drive it, no holding it on required like phillips

Also they dont strip

For the OP, next time go to the hardware store and spend the $2 for a set of robertson bits. If you dont have a bit driver, they'll fit in a 1/4 6pt socket.

Wicki:

"The Fisher Body company which made the car bodies for the Ford Motor Company, was one of Robertson's first customers and used over 700 Robertson screws in its Model T car. Henry Ford, after finding that the screw saved him about 2 hours of work for each car, attempted to get an exclusive licence for the use and manufacture the Robertson screw in the US. He was turned down by Robertson who felt it was not in his best interest and shortly after that, Ford found that Henry F. Phillips had invented another kind of socket screw and had no such reservations. Although the Robertson screw is most popular in Canada, it is used extensively in boat building because it tends not to slip and damage material, it can be used with one hand, and it is much easier to remove/replace after weathering."

I see and use Robertson pretty often. But then, I do a bit of hobby woodworking.

The thing that is most annoying to me is differentiating Phillips from JIS from posidriv.

Gotta love those Robertson screws. I gave up on Philips decades ago. Holds tight to the driver, one handed operation, no cam out, even made in trim screws with tiny heads. I buy them from McFeelys.

I don't know how Phillips got to be so popular in the US. Seems like they have a very limited usefulness, and are a huge pain in the [censored] to remove.

I'll take square drive or Torx all day for any screw longer than an inch.

When they invented Phillips, "camming out" was specifically engineered in, as the torque limiting tech inside the drivers then wasn't what it is now.

Star drive was a further improvement mostly meant for assembly lines so you could stick a screw on your bit and the bit would hold it pretty well.

Originally Posted By: kb27
It seems that square drive (common in USA) is not exactly equal to Robertson, due to patents issue.

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/?ALLSTEPS

Those patents ran out decades ago, there's nothing stopping manufacturers from copying all the angles that used to make a Roberts unique. The only real issue is the copyrighted name, and a very touchy company that holds that name.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Canadian invention, carpenters and woodworkers love them, but most of America is left scratching their head.

Robertson are the best screw ever invented for wood working. Just making inroads in the USA now. Far easier than a Philips head and no skinned knuckles.

In my 20+ years as a carpenter I've only ever used Robertson head screws.
For decks there's a new screw that uses a Robertson coupled with a Philips. Great for hardwoods and railings applications with lots of resistance.
When I worked in Detroit over a decade ago I had a hard time finding Robertson drill bits and screws.
I guess America isn't always first with innovations. Just most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back