Would YOU go 10k on a Toyota Cartridge Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Camry with 2.5L 34,000 miles.

I have the choose of going for a 10k run on the filter and change the oil now a 5k via my MityVac extractor. I looked at the last filter at a 5k change and the [censored] was like new.

Should I tempt fate out of curiosity to see what a 10k filter looks like? Or is that something's Toyota Genuine filter isn't worth pushing? (Highway miles 75%) northern climate summer-autumn temps.

Toyota's factory recommend OCI is 10k when using synthetic, so you should be able to do it with no problem
smile.gif

But if you're still skeptical, you can always use Wix XP next time. Mahle is supposed to be good, too.

Yup.

I often use the "Yoda filters" for 2X oil changes... but I only put 2.5K miles per year on my MR2. So it gets 2 years of work short-tripping and I have not had a bad filter yet.

Toyota oil filters are ok. But you should check out Rock Auto for their superior Hastings store brand oil filters.

IMO....Big Bang for the buck at $1.25 each and can be used for 2x oil changes with synthetic.

Originally Posted By: mongo161

IMO....Big Bang for the buck at $1.25 each and can be used for 2x oil changes with synthetic.

Aren't those Federated filters actually cheap Casites? Or are they really the premium Hastings? Either way, they're Korean.

The Mahle OX414D1 is made in Austria.

The Mann HU 7019z is made in Germany.

Personal preference. I would stay with the Toyota brand and do the 10k change because you saw the reasons it is OK in your case. Don't fix what isn't broken is one way to look at it. The OE cartridge comes with OE gaskets and is the same filter as when the car was delivered. Denso doesn't make the aftermarket filter for this application. Maybe it's made in Japan as it is a specific filter made for Toyota.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Toyota oil filters are made in China, along with the oem air filters.

Thought the Toyota oil filters were made in Thailand ... they use to be.

Yes.I bought a 2013 Camry SE in July and bought two Toyota OEM filters for $4.25 each at the dealer. Rock wanted $5.83 for a WIX 57047 which next to Duty Type had LD (light duty?). Rock wanted $11.13 for the WIX 57047XP. I am going to use Mobile 1 EP. I figure with Toyota filters I shouldn't have any warranty issues.

yes its capable of 10K OCI.
Now while Toyota does say 10K OCI take a look at the maintenance schedule booklet. My 2011 Camry says 10K OCI for NORMAL service and gives conditions. Then it has SEVERE service and it says 5K OCI and gives conditions.
I fall under severe and change at 5K.

That TRD filter I am taking a look at for all mt short tripping.

As a side note, I bought a Toyota TRD PTR43-0080 filter for my Tacoma from Amazon because I was curious.

It arrived looking like it had been sitting on the shelf for years, the box was torn, dirty, and scuffed. The filter itself didn't look like it had any problems, but for $15, I decided that I deserved a nice, new box. So I returned it and got a RP.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
As a side note, I bought a Toyota TRD PTR43-0080 filter for my Tacoma from Amazon because I was curious.

It arrived looking like it had been sitting on the shelf for years, the box was torn, dirty, and scuffed. The filter itself didn't look like it had any problems, but for $15, I decided that I deserved a nice, new box. So I returned it and got a RP.

You returned a filter because of the BOX? Really?

Did you happen to notice the country of origin for the TRD filter?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: JerryBob

You returned a filter because of the BOX? Really?

Did you happen to notice the country of origin for the TRD filter?

Of course I returned it. How do I know what sort of handling and abuse the filter had been subjected it. I'd have gladly sold it to you, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back