oil filter clogged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi mates,

dont know if it is the correct place to put this, but Im a little concern about this.
Last week, purchased a LM oil additive with mos2 and 3 days after I had a oil light flickering on my 2.2 cdri santa fe.
Changed the oil, another oil filter (amc) and again after 200kms it was clogged again with loads of carbon (I think) particles.

what I should do?

think about put some engine flush, renew with a cheap oil and flushing again.

Tommorrow Ill put some photos with the clogged oil filter.

thanks

Originally Posted By: Torres
Hi mates,

what I should do?

stop using additives. do your next 3 oil changes at 3000 miles.

yep I will Doog, but Im getting oil filter clogged after 200kms , should I keep only changing the oil filter?

That Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi 2.2L diesel shouldn't be having a problem with LiquiMoly MOS2, as those particles are supposed to be 1 micron and less each. Oil filters typically catch only stuff above about 10 microns or so. (Could be LM had a factory batch problem making the particles too big, we just don't know.)
Sometimes the oil presure sender goes bad, causing the light to flicker, that happened to me once a while back.
You're doing the right thing putting in some flush, changing the oil again, and trying again, but seriously consider it might be the oil sender causing the flickering. Try switching brands of oil filter to see if that helps, just in case.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
That Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi 2.2L diesel shouldn't be having a problem with LiquiMoly MOS2, as those particles are supposed to be 1 micron and less each. Oil filters typically catch only stuff above about 10 microns or so. (Could be LM had a factory batch problem making the particles too big, we just don't know.)
Sometimes the oil presure sender goes bad, causing the light to flicker, that happened to me once a while back.
You're doing the right thing putting in some flush, changing the oil again, and trying again, but seriously consider it might be the oil sender causing the flickering. Try switching brands of oil filter to see if that helps, just in case.

frown.gif

shouldnt be that sender cause the first oil filter besides clogged , also colapsed

Originally Posted By: Torres

frown.gif

shouldnt be that sender cause the first oil filter besides clogged , also colapsed

I saw the picture of the oil filter and it doesn't look collapsed. Or clogged, but we can't tell if its clogged by looking at it.
Certainly it MIGHT be clogged, but we can't be sure it is clogged.
Still might be the sender I think.
You are doing the right thing to be sure, flushing, changing oil, changing to another brand of oil filter, trying again, to rule out that being the issue. If the LM MoS2 is the problem, new engine oil will remove most of it no problem.

Where is it collapsed or clogged? You can't tell if its clogged unless you do a pressure differential test.
UWyboYq.jpg

Originally Posted By: loneryder
If it's a diesel, it looks normal to me.

After 200 km?? New oil and filter??

Last edited:
This one on the photo is the second one that last only 200kms ..., tonight Ill see if I still have the first that the paper filter is separated from the plastic.

And yes.., just 200kms on a new oil and a new filter. Next wednesday I will change again the oil and filter

that's sludge in the filter, not MOS2. Seen that quite a few times before unfortunately.

And the sludge was in the engine prior to the MOS2.

What is the oil change history of this car? mileages and brand/spec of oil would be nice. but I can tell you that 9000 miles is about enough to get to the end of the oil life where I live, in those engines.

But even a clogged or collapsed oil filter can't cause a flickering oil light, the bypass valve opens long before that and the clogging goes unnoticed.

You do know there is an issue with the oil level sender working incorrectly, and flashing because of a false low oil level, do you? there's a software upgrade for this issue.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
that's sludge in the filter, not MOS2. Seen that quite a few times before unfortunately.

And the sludge was in the engine prior to the MOS2.

What is the oil change history of this car? mileages and brand/spec of oil would be nice. but I can tell you that 9000 miles is about enough to get to the end of the oil life where I live, in those engines.

But even a clogged or collapsed oil filter can't cause a flickering oil light, the bypass valve opens long before that and the clogging goes unnoticed.

You do know there is an issue with the oil level sender working incorrectly, and flashing because of a false low oil level, do you? there's a software upgrade for this issue.

Well I cant say if for sure, but the oil pressure light stops each time I change the filter. And at idle the light gos off..., only it shows when its over 1500rpms.
Last saturday I tested the bypass valvule by pressing it down, and it seems to be fine.

I suppose the oil history of this car was not the best..., I know that it has already the turbo rebuild and maybe caused by the same problem.

Now Im using the wurth oil cause my brothers garage have a nice discount on it.

Last edited:
I can't say many good things about hyundai quality, but I must admit they don't have a habit of killing turbo's...

You have an issue with sludge, and either the MOS2 or the new oil seems to be dissolving it enough to transport it to the oil filter. MoS2 isn't a solvent, but as it's attracted to metal it'll likely help to remove other stuff from it to take it's place, in a similar way polar liquids do.

I would not use a flush. You are already washing enough junk into the filter that it is clogging. A flush will wash more into the pan and filter. If the filter can't hold it all then it goes throughout the engine and causes damage. I would keep changing the filter and top off the oil until the clogging goes away before returning to normal oil change intervals.

You may have enough sludge that it is clogging the pickup screen causing the low oil pressure. What does the drain oil look like?

" ... even a clogged or collapsed oil filter can't cause a flickering oil light, the bypass valve opens long before that ..."

Exactly. That's what the bypass does. And as filter experts here will attest, it takes a LOT of particles to clog a filter. Take a look at SAE filter testing methods and how much particulate matter they introduce into the filter when they are tested.

Regardless, the safest route is what Joshua Skinner suggested ... another straight-up oil and filter change. Cheap and simple.

If you are still having problems, drop the oil pan and check the oil pick-up ... does it have a screen on it? is that clogged with sludge or some other bits??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back