Oil Change Interval advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 honda odyssey and I live in SW FL. It sees 12k per year mostly start and stop short trips and about 30 min a day mon - fri idling waiting for kids last school. I noticed a post on here some time ago about a van like mine that died due to sludge but I guess it was short tripped in cold weather. No cold weather here in FL but it does get hot. I was thinking the MM says I can go about 8 k before its time to change oil but I'm afraid after seeing that. should I use something like MSK5 or PYB or should i just step up to PP and or reduce OCI to like 5 or 6k. thoughts. Also I like the idea of running every other Fram ultra as I really like that filter but not sure with a 4.5 qt vs sump about leaving half a qt of old oil in the filter.

Pennzoil Platinum at 5K / 6MO intervals with a Fram Ultra changed every other oil change. This should net a clean and happy engine
wink.gif

Change oil twice a year w dino or once a year with synthetic. If it were me, I would go every 6 months with whatever dino is on sale

I live in Florida and do similar as you. My wife drives about 12,000 miles or less a year. I don't put high mileage on any of my vehicles since I have a company vehicle and it gets the bulk of miles. I change oil every 4 months. That's three oil changes a year and sometimes its only 3,000 or less miles. My theory is oil is cheap and engines are not. Having a small slump like you have, its even cheaper. I would just change it one 4 month intervals or 4,000 miles with whatever you get on clearance I think my last 7 qt oil change cost me less than $10 with clearance oil and filters. I am just saying if you want to stay on the safe side, this is it.

3K OCI? 5K on synthetic? You guys are throwing money down the drain. Maintenance is done to reduce future expenses, and overmaintaining completely negates that - and adds no benefit.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
...............I was thinking the MM says I can go about 8 k before its time to change oil but I'm afraid after seeing that. should I use something like MSK5 or PYB or should i just step up to PP and or reduce OCI to like 5 or 6k. thoughts. Also I like the idea of running every other Fram ultra as I really like that filter but not sure with a 4.5 qt vs sump about leaving half a qt of old oil in the filter.

6 months, regardless of mileage, and PP is my choice. Good choice on the alternate-oil change Fram Ultra, the best oil filter based on performance (efficiency, capacity).
You could run any full-syn you see on the shelf at Walmart in 5 quart jugs, best buy there. All brands, including SuperTech full-syn on the low end, meet or exceed dexos1 specs, the current tough leader in specs to follow.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Pennzoil Platinum at 5K / 6MO intervals with a Fram Ultra changed every other oil change. This should net a clean and happy engine
wink.gif

^^ this

Originally Posted By: dishdude
3K OCI? 5K on synthetic? You guys are throwing money down the drain. Maintenance is done to reduce future expenses, and overmaintaining completely negates that - and adds no benefit.

wrong....you can never go wrong with synthetic oil and a 5000 OCI

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: dishdude

wrong....you can never go wrong with synthetic oil and a 5000 OCI

The MM says he can go 8k on conventional and people are suggesting 5k on synthetic? The oil is barely broken in at that point! What a waste.

If you look at your owner's manual I think you'll see the oil filter capacity is about .2 quart, if that makes you feel better about using the same filter for 2 OCis.

Just follow the MM. I'd use the cheapest synthetic on sale. If you're on a budget, you can use the Smitty's SuperS on sale for $7.99 a jug
smile.gif

i would do a bit more research into your vehicle to find out if sludge is common. can you see with a flashlight into your oil fill home? is there sludge in there? when you drain the oil what does it look like? shine a flashlight into your pan through the drain hole next oil change to see how it looks. if your engine doesnt sludge there is absolutly no reason to shorten your oci because one other persons van did. on a 2005 your olm is calibrated for dino oil.
if there is no concern about sludge on your motor following the olm with dino oil is fine, once a year with synthetic with your mileage.
what does your owners manuel say?

Is this a VCM V6? Cant remember exactly when they started. The standard J30/32/35s are pretty easy on oil, but the VCM versions tend to trash oils as they run REALLY hot on one bank.

If it's a non VCM, I'd say follow the MM with conventional or synthetic of your choice. It won't matter in your climate or your driving style.

If it does have cylinder deactivation, 5K max with synthetic is almost a must to keep them reasonably clean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back