Noisy muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting noise from my exhaust. I included some pics. It's coming out the hole in the pipe that joins to the catalytic converter. The hole is perfectly round so it doesn't seem like it's worn through (though of course maybe it is). Any ideas on what's causing the noise? The noise is typical muffler noise, you hit the gas and it gets louder.
Thanks
hole:
muffler%2002_1.jpg

muffler%2001.jpg

looking up into hole:
muffler%20looking%20up%20into%20hole.jpg

top of pipe:
muffler%20top%2003.jpg

top of pipe looking at cat:
muffler%20top%2002.jpg

Have put your hand over that hole or tried blocking it with the engine running to confirm that's the source of your exhaust system leak? If it is, a cheap quick fix would be to cut out a circle just a bit larger than that hole out of a beer or coke can and bond it with some type of putty steel substance....something I've been able to do with success on my aging exhaust system.

Originally Posted By: Pokermatters
Have put your hand over that hole or tried blocking it with the engine running to confirm that's the source of your exhaust system leak?

I'll try that.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Putting a patch on that designed hole will only buy you a little time. It might also trap moisture that will hasten total failure.

I patched my echo exhaust in the area when it arcs over the rear suspension in the area where the front and rear pipes are clamped and welded together.

I got about 2' of aluminum foil and repetitively kept folding it over until I had a thick 'pad' about the size of an index card. I wrapped it around the pipe and used 2 or 3 hose clamps to secure in place; the Al foil is great since it molds in place and stays that way.

This fix lasted for 2 years or so, until the pipe tore from the exhaust bouncing up and down. I then had a guy weld it.

My car is driven daily and always to a full hot condition (see sig and do the math) so moisture isn't an issue.

Worth a try IMHO.

Last edited:
To each his own. It has to be fixed, it's not going away, parts and labor will cost more later.

Even though money wasn't a problem my dad would always do the bandaid fix then complain later. Frugal.
49.gif

That can't be a rust hole, look how thick the steel is in that area. Plus it's perfectly round and right in front of the cat - that area is always hot and moisture doesn't pool there. It's rare to see an exhaust system rust out before the cat.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Did the exhaust noise gradually get louder or did it happen all at once?

all at once

Hanger looks like is ready to break also. Exhaust is straight forward, patch it with a soup can or replace it.Not rocket science here.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I'm guessing a hole has formed inside that shell that the hangar is attached to.

Yes, that's right. I can't see the hole but if I put my finger over that shell I can feel the exhuast. Is there any way to plug that?
leak%2001.png

leak%2002.png

Not too sure. Maybe some muffler cement pushed down in between the shell and pipe? Or you may have to have that part cut off and a new part with shell and hangar welded back in place of it.

Screw a very short bolt in the hole. Muffler patch will blow out. I do not know the size of the hole but you could even put a radiator clamp over the hole and tighten it up. Might not be a perfect seal but will do the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back