ford transit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven a 2010 or so model. It was severely underpowered. The power steering seemed to cut out, A/C worked part of the time, radio cut in and out. It only had 108K or so.

Drove one last year for about 3 months, pretty miserable . the Econoline prior was a much better vehicle, the Transit was a DOG with lousy a HVAC system.

Which one?

Transit or Transit Connect?

2010-2013 models are glorified Focii with the same 2.0 I4 and 4 speed auto (underpowered much)

'14 and up you have a choice of the 2.5 Duratec (bearable) or the 1.6 Ecoboost (more interesting) both tied to a 6 speed auto

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I've driven a 2010 or so model. It was severely underpowered. The power steering seemed to cut out, A/C worked part of the time, radio cut in and out. It only had 108K or so.

The Transit was not available in the US in 2010. The Transit Connect was available, which is the vehicle I assume you're talking about. The Transit is a completely different vehicle from the Transit Connect.

i had a 2012 as a company vehicle for a couple years. It was terribly slow, got poor fuel economy and handled terrible.

The thing was impossible to keep warm in the winter as the body flexes enough to let air through the seals. They are poorly insulated and loud as well.

Mechanically it was fine. I drove it 70k miles in 2 years and it never skipped a beat. It was serviced every 5k miles at Valvoline instant oil changes. They always used 5w20 maxlife in mine. Engine stayed spotless.

Transmission services were required every 30k per lease-plan as well. Tires lasted 45k miles.

I kept the thing on the floor almost constantly. pulling onto highways or away from lights i would hold it on the floor until i reached the speed limit. 0-60 was like 5 minutes so i had no choice.

It never blew up, or used measuarble amounts of oil so Maxlife did its job.

Just bought over 100 Transits with the 3.2L diesel. Get better fuel economy than the 3.0L diesel Sprinter. Drivers really like them.
No worries IMO on choosing one.
Diesel for higher mileage or 3.5 Ecoboost for lower mileage city type use. Breakeven point is about 20,000 miles per year. Servicing the diesel is pretty reasonable, CJ-4 5W-30 oil and standard Ford filters.

The Transits are still fairly new, but should be good work vehicles. The 3.5 Ecoboost is proving to be a good engine overall, plenty of power but lower mpg as danno stated. 6r80 is a good transmission that's been around a while. The 3.2 diesel has also been around awhile, but of course here carries the US standard barrage of emissions equipment.

Here's a review of the diesel:

3.2 Diesel Transit Review

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I heard the transmissions die young.

I believe it! The one I drove started shifting around 5K rpm after warming up, that was with normal throttle input.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
find an econoline with the 5.4 v8. it will outlast an apocalypse.

Fixed. The 4.6 can be a dog in most cases. We have about 5 E-250/350's (5.4 litre) with Knapheide work bodies, and sometimes the 5.4 can be a dog. They are buying a Transit with the same Knapheide body, and I'm pretty sure it will have the standard Non-EcoBoost V6. I hope I don't get that thing...

I have a couple of coworkers with new Transits, mine is not here yet.

The standard 3.7 is adequate but not speedy, it is slower than a GVan with a 5.3 but much better than a GVan with a 4.3.

They are also not that fuel efficient though that could widely vary by configuration since they come in several wheelbases, 3 different roofs and from 150 to 350 series.

If it has windows, budget for window tint if you need the air to work sitting still.

Overall my coworkers love them, the few niggles are far outweighed by the nice comfortable ride and drive and other features that make them well suited to what we do.

If I were buying I'd get an eco-boost or diesel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back