Is this whats wrong with BMW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW does not want to re certify the cars with the EPA possible leading to a class action law suite like Hyundai just got in.

So they made a design error based on the way cars are typically driven in the US, and they now can't properly correct the error for fear of :

A) bringing down the wrath of the EPA .. and ..
B) being sued (the American disease)

Cute..

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
BMW does not want to re certify the cars with the EPA possible leading to a class action law suite like Hyundai just got in.

All companies try to squeeze every last ounce out of fuel economy when they certify their EPA estimates. Fine and good, but when unexpected problems or minor driveability issues come up later, the customer is stuck as the fix might round the EPA number down instead of up, recertification would be needed and customers will want compensation for "lost" fuel economy.

A current example is the 2015 Honda CRV. It has an issue with occasional low idle speed speed that produces unpleasant vibrations and a low-speed "thrumming" vibration. These aren't serious problems but Honda has been working on a solution for 8 months or so. I suspect the issue is they can't figure out how to fix the problem without impacting EPA mileage. Maddening. You'd think a smart company could build in a bit of a cushion, but maybe the marketing guys have taken over.

As far as BMW is concerned, BITOG members tend to keep cars a while. Imagine owning one of these when the warranty is over.

I would expect so. I'm sure it's not a problem outside of the US borders.

I'd be very surprised if the owners of a twin turbo V8 would actually care if the official sticker mileage increased a couple of gnats weenies, but when you can wave a "class action" around and attract the attention of the plethora of ambulance chasers I guess it's cheaper to just replace batteries during the warranty period.

this is at the start of the 5th paragraph - are they talking about replacing the car BATTERY every 10 or 15 k (when you do an oil change)??

"Finally, the CCP offers a way to cover up the N63's habit of chewing through batteries: It contains a technical service bulletin to replace them at every oil change."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
this is at the start of the 5th paragraph - are they talking about replacing the car BATTERY every 10 or 15 k (when you do an oil change)??

"Finally, the CCP offers a way to cover up the N63's habit of chewing through batteries: It contains a technical service bulletin to replace them at every oil change."

Yes.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I'm sure their are aftermarket tuners that fix the issue.

So i buy an $80,000 new BMW then have to take it to an aftermarket tuner to somehow find a fix that may also void my warranty if the dealership discovers I've tampered with engine management systems. In essence, giving them an easy out. How many levels of unacceptable did i just cross?

The only way to get out of that post warranty is put a battery tender on the car and plug her in every day after driving. Would be a great way to practice up for BMWs next plug in hybrid ha ha.

I agree with the part that says they are no stranger to strange problems. Putting the battery on a charger every night should help with battery life.should supply a charger with every car.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I agree with the part that says they are no stranger to strange problems. Putting the battery on a charger every night should help with battery life.should supply a charger with every car.

...to go along with that quart of oil supplied by them in the leather case.

Solar panel on the dash or rear deck, or built into the sunroof or rear wing, or.... can prevent the problem. $20 solar panel obviously not high-tech or fancy enough for automakers to build in.

I wonder how many engineering snafus among all automakers that are out there that can be solved by a DIY'er or aftermarket.

Still trust that OE engineering?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Solar panel on the dash or rear deck, or built into the sunroof or rear wing, or.... can prevent the problem. $20 solar panel obviously not high-tech or fancy enough for automakers to build in.

I wonder how many engineering snafus among all automakers that are out there that can be solved by a DIY'er or aftermarket.

Still trust that OE engineering?

Yes. Far more "right" with OE engineering than "wrong". Far more.

My only question is.....Who pays for the new batteries, every 10k miles? The owner, or BMW?

If it were my car, and my responsibility, I would install a CTEK charger, and plug the thing in, when it was in the garage.

Or.....Get an aftermarket reflash. Though, I probably coast plenty to keep a battery charged....Brakes last an amazing amount of time for my wife and I.

We've handed this country over to the "Lawyers' Monopoly", the highly cost-inducing, often questionable value creating types out there. The kind who scream "I deserve" for a rate for most of what is outsourced, minimal brain use efforts. Class action is a prime example - does it help the class, or primarily the lawyers who take like 50% of the settlement?

Sure, throw spears at the EPA for overzealous folks, but I didn't see that the EPA would create a surcharge, and even if they did, the car is such a low seller that the dollars would be low. Until some profit mongering "class" chooses to make a big dollar issue.

If it ever came to a case, hopefully it would be thrown out instantly under the premise that one doesn't buy many hundred hp turbo v8 vehicles for "economy", so if they were truthful they would have bought a Prius. And disbar the lawyers pushing it.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
My only question is.....Who pays for the new batteries, every 10k miles? The owner, or BMW?

This. If it's on BMW, does any of this really matter?

Upper model Bmw has always been needlessly complex all the way back to 1990's. Do folks really buy this stuff and expect to keep out of warranty?

They offer sweet loaners at least to my friends who buy this brand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back