Watch question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully some of you guys that buy and know watches will be able to help me out.

I've been kicking around getting a watch and I've found this one: Citizen Eco-Drive Professional Divers BN0100-00E.

The thing is, it seems like this is/was sold on the international market, but not here, though I could be wrong. There are several watch dealers who sell them here in the US.

Is there any issue/problem buying watches from these dealers or fulfilling a warranty problem? From what I've seen, some of the dealers have been around quite a while and claim to have authentic pieces.

Thank you.

I bought my Eco-Drive from a well known U.S. online watch store, which isn't actually an official Citizen dealer. I was concerned about that same thing. I simply used the old conventional wisdom - don't buy something more expensive than you can afford to lose. For $200 (barely half of the best Canadian price), I figured I could afford to lose swallow the loss if it failed miserably. It didn't, and I still wear it each day, several years later. If it was $1500 or something, I might have been more hesitant, but in that case, I wouldn't be jumping to spend that much money, no matter how good the warranty.
wink.gif

I can't speak to your financial situation, but the watch you mentioned looks to be fairly inexpensive, all things considered. If that were the watch for me, at that price range, I wouldn't worry about warranty.

Yes if you buy non-authorized or not intended for your market, they do not have to honor your warranty.

But my quick google is that this is just a $150 watch which only has a 1year warranty, so I don't think the warranty is really worth all that much anyway.

You should worry more about the return policy. If it stays OK for 30days, it should be able to make it the year that your warranty was covering anyway.

Use a good credit card and use that to cover whatever concerns may come up.

Last edited:
You can buy that watch new on ebay for $141.44 at the moment. If you like that Rolex Submariner homage look, I've owned the Invicta 8926OB for several months now, which has a seiko automatic NH35A movement inside, which for me has settled in at 2 seconds slow per day, which is exceptionally good for an auto, especially given it's price point of $85.98 at Amazon.com.

A quartz watch, like the Citizen you mention, will always be more accurate, but there's something to be said for having a mechanical watch that will also never need batteries.

Originally Posted By: Pokermatters
You can buy that watch new on ebay for $141.44 at the moment. If you like that Rolex Submariner homage look, I've owned the Invicta 8926OB for several months now, which has a seiko automatic NH35A movement inside, which for me has settled in at 2 seconds slow per day, which is exceptionally good for an auto, especially given it's price point of $85.98 at Amazon.com.

A quartz watch, like the Citizen you mention, will always be more accurate, but there's something to be said for having a mechanical watch that will also never need batteries.

Excellent watches! I have several Invicta watches with this same Seiko NH25/35A movement inside. Great movement with wonderful accuracy for a lower priced automatic movement.
I have the 2 tone(18K Gold/SS) Pro Diver 43mm special edition with the stingray on the dial above the 6 o'clock position. And Grand Diver 47mm. I paid under $100 for both watches even w/shipping & NY State tax.

The Pro Diver/Grand Diver/Scuba are my favorite of these Invicta watches as they're NOT over the top as are the SubAqua Noma, Bolt and Russian Diver etc. Perfect for me!

I had a similar dilemma recently. I've been wearing a TAGHeuer 1000 for years but one of the bracelet links needs to be replaced as the pin keeps falling out. Anyway, I looked online for weeks for another daily wear diver style watch. I picked up a SeaPro Scuba 200 from Overstock.com when they went on sale. At ~$300 it was at the upper end of what I wanted to spend but it's a nice, large (43mm), super accurate automatic. Since I only wear a watch 4 days a week, which would require me to set it every week, I decided to pick up a cheap quartz scuba: an Invicta 9307. It's nice but the lack of a screw-in crown gives me anxiety to get the watch wet - it's a "Pro Diver" in name only. It's been super accurate and it looks nice - for $75. It's kinda small at 40mm (like the TH) so I just ordered an Invicta 20119 for $59. Yeah, they're cheap but they won't break the bank if they turn out to be junk.
Bottom line: I agree with Garak's advice.

As others have mentioned, if you can afford to lose the money I'd go non-authorized. In many cases, you can buy two of the same watches from an unauthorized dealer for the same cost of one if you bought from an authorized dealer. I have a Citzen Eco-drive which is about 5 years old now and it runs like the day it was bought. They're pretty reliable so I wouldn't worry much. If you were buying a luxury piece for thousands I'd say go authorized. I think my Eco-drive was bought at Kohl's which is an authorized dealer but it was on steep discount.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back