1.8 Toyota reliability(2016 Corolla)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was led to buy one in my 2013 Corolla because I've seen countless pass the "college girl" test. Minimal oil changes hard driving bashing and still 300k or more. Meanwhile Cavaliers and Focuses die with the girls of such age at about 150k.

However it is notable ( not cursed or destroyed by) for its VVT pin not setting in place at shutdown and oil drain down thereby causing a 1 second startup rattle like coconut shells clapping quickly. This is common with Hondas as well. Toyota replaces the assembly but for many it comes back. It's just how it is. Mine didn't do the rattle until about 7k miles and sure as [censored] a 1 second coconut she'll rattle sound. It's on you tube and talked about a lot in other forums such as Toyota Nation. Again, not a cursing issue that causes failure just a characteristic. I had a friend who claimed his didn't do it. I went over after the car has sat 3 hours and started it for him. When he paid attention he heard it. Took it in and the master tech said he can throw parts at it and he doesn't argue that the design may be better but all he's had is comebacks and some for valve cover leaks from quick valve cover reinstalls by youn techs pressured to produce quantity.

I like mine it's peppy and the oil has tested cleaner than my 2.5L camy hands down.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Guys, this is not the 1ZZ-FE; like the ones from years ago.

The 2ZR-FE has been around for a number of years already.

the LE Eco, with the 2ZR-FAE, that's the new engine with unknown history.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Guys, this is not the 1ZZ-FE; like the ones from years ago.

The 2ZR-FE has been around for a number of years already.

the LE Eco, with the 2ZR-FAE, that's the new engine with unknown history.

correct, and there have been some issues with The Eco engine, with some people needing the intelligent variable valve timing module needing replaced (warranty), and there have been a couple of software updates required as well. The CVT that the many of the models have is probably the limiting factor on ultimate longevity. Its sealed and has "lifetime fluid". A couple, but not many, failures have been reported in Corolla forums.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
The CVT that the many of the models have is probably the limiting factor on ultimate longevity. Its sealed and has "lifetime fluid". A couple, but not many, failures have been reported in Corolla forums.

No engine or transmission is sealed that I'm aware of. That transmission was filled at the factory so the fluid can be extracted and filled back in. It may be more difficult, but there must be a fill/drain port and also means of checking the level.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The CVT that the many of the models have is probably the limiting factor on ultimate longevity. Its sealed and has "lifetime fluid". A couple, but not many, failures have been reported in Corolla forums.

No engine or transmission is sealed that I'm aware of. That transmission was filled at the factory so the fluid can be extracted and filled back in. It may be more difficult, but there must be a fill/drain port and also means of checking the level.

There is NO dipstick or means of physically checking the fluid in the CVT. It truly is sealed. Its condition is checked by the dealer connecting an instrument to a sensor on the unit. To change the fluid, you must drop the pan, and its a pretty complex process.

There is NO dipstick or means of physically checking the fluid in the CVT. It truly is sealed. Its condition is checked by the dealer connecting an instrument to a sensor on the unit. To change the fluid, you must drop the pan, and its a pretty complex process.

Has anybody actually seen the unit? It would be interesting to get a hands on report rather than internet's "it doesn't have a dipstick and dealers are saying it's sealed".

Dropping that pan is not exactly new, nor is using special tools to fill and verify the fluid level.

I don't like these sealed systems. A few years ago my grand am was leaking transmission fluid from rusted transmission lines. I had no idea how long they were leaking or how much fluid leaked out. I live in a rather large apartment community and park in random spots so I didn't notice the leak right away.

I see some Toyota dealers around here offering a lifetime warranty on their vehicles. What if this same problem happens many years down the road on a Toyota? Can a lifetime warranty be voided if a transmission fails because of a fluid leak and the transmission runs dry?

I owned a 2014 corolla for about a year. I never had any problems with it, just it aggravated my arthritic knee. The manual states that CVT is sealed, and from what I saw from above and below I didn't see any dipstick, nor any drainhole. The manual also explains that to check the condition it has to be done by the dealer. I've seen the procedure for changing the fluid - you DO drop the pan. If you go on Asiin's site (spelling?) you can read about the model used. They specify which model depending on vehicle engine size.

Other than my knee issue, I really liked the car. I had an LE ECO and got from 46-50 mpg, almost all highway and fairly conservative driving. It is a bit noisy and not as smooth riding as the best cars in this class, and it had its share of rattles. Never a mechanical issue though, and the CVT behaved very nicely.

Last edited:
it's been a while since I owned a car with an automatic transmission, but, in what cars can you simply to a drain & refill and be confident that you are replacing nearly 100% of the old fluid?

The tranny manufacturer is Aisin.

It's gotta have a transmission cooler. If it does you can do a fluid swap. Making sure the fluid in equals the fluid out would be tricky but not impossible. Or you can go the easier route if you're into maintenance and not buy into a tranny designed to be a PITA to service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back