Repco 0w40 and 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
The "chief oils" are an actual brand, brought in by Supercheap

http://www.chief-oil.com/

Previously, their "calibre" range (house brand) were rebottled Caltex.

I now see that....wow thought the name a bit "hokey" but see it's a proper product.
Has anyone used it here?
I am still interested in info on the RFS Repco oils, they are new in NZ.

Originally Posted By: supercity
I see Repco have released a full synthetic range. 0w40 is an absolute bargian, and of course it's cheaper than 5w30!
crazy.gif
It's in the same bottles as all the others; is it made by Penrite? Does anyone have any information?

IMG_20131215_163606.jpg

http://www.repcoservice.com/our-expertise-and-knowledge/penrite-oils

According to a manager at APPCO (Repco's trade store) these synthetics are still made by Penrite. They did point out over and over, that it isn't just rebranded Penrite, but Repco's own formulation, blended by Penrite. Nice spin, but I doubt it. Either way, if it comes from Penrite I'll give it a try.

Has Supercheap stopped selling the Calibre? That was pretty good quality rebranded Havoline stuff. The full synthetic was especially good value.

Would love to hear from anyone who has tried the new Repco oils, the 0w40 in particular.

Cheers.

I looked at Chief for my bike, and it stacked up pretty well....had the highest VI. But I went with Shell because it's cheap at Repco.

Specially blended for Repco....blended down to a price I bet. And Repco don't do plus 10....that might be a plus.

Yeah, possibly blended down to a price, but it's not that much cheaper than the Penrite stuff.

I wonder if the Penrite 0w50 is also within the specs to be classed as a 0w40 and Repco have run with that. Maybe Penrite just stick with the "Extra Ten" thing as a marketing point of difference.

For a while I was running (and may go back to) Havoline Energy 5w30. According to spec (and I cant remember now where I found them) it was actually closer to a 5w20.

Chief oil 0w-40 data sheet below looks good with a claimed 8.5% Noack Volatility,

Its made in the Netherlands.

http://www.chief-oil.com/chicasaw-stx-sae-0w40.html

Typical analysis

Density at 15°C : 0.861
Viscosity at 40°C : 73 cSt
Viscosity at 100°C : 13.2 cSt
Viscosity at -35°C : 5700 cP
Viscosity index : 187
Pour point : < -50 °C
Flash point : 236°C
TBN : 10,6 mg KOH/g
Colour : 3.0
Sulphated ash : 1,2 % mass
HTHS : 3,6 cP
Noack volatility : 8,5 % mass

Last edited:
I'm giving the chief oil a crack...
Stato has ther 85W-140 in the diff, and synthetic ATF in the power steer.

I've got some 10W-30 semi syn and SAE30 in the freezer at the present time.

Originally Posted By: KiwiBekker
According to a manager at APPCO (Repco's trade store) these synthetics are still made by Penrite. They did point out over and over, that it isn't just rebranded Penrite, but Repco's own formulation, blended by Penrite. Nice spin, but I doubt it. Either way, if it comes from Penrite I'll give it a try.

Has Supercheap stopped selling the Calibre? That was pretty good quality rebranded Havoline stuff. The full synthetic was especially good value.

Would love to hear from anyone who has tried the new Repco oils, the 0w40 in particular.

Cheers.

Well Penrite dont make a 0w40 A4/B4 so it cant be one of their own products rebottled. No it can't be 0w50 either. Penrite use to make a 0w40 C3 so it could be something similar reformulated. Penrite do make a 5w30 Sn/GF-5 full synthetic but it may not be the same. The tech data from Repco's other oils do not line up with the compareable Penrite product.

Last edited:
All the bragging and fuss about "made in Belgium the Castrol Elixir" the Chief Oil brand which is made so close to the Belgium border maybe worth a try after the Penrite Diesel 5w-40 dual use oil.

It would be nice if it got some OEM approvals etc for some of it's oils.

To our European buddies have any of yous tried this stuff ?
Any opinions over there ?

Last edited:
Bought a litre of the 0W-40 this morning.

While it doesn't shake like water (a new test here, that I'm trialling under advisement), it does exceptionally well in the freezer.

Repco had it for $12.49, $5+ off, and cheaper than their mower oil...it's at least going into that

I had a look in the Local Repco shop today and they has Repco brand 'Fully Synthetic" 0-40 in a sliver bottle. Is this the same one discussed before? Did anyone find out its origins, or more particularly, its specifications?
Cheers.

Can anyone report in their experience with it yet? Does it sound like it is Group 4/5 base oil? I would be amazed if it is, but.......

Hmm, I must find the specs for Penrite Premium 0 - 40 (PAO/Ester) and compare...

Last edited:
OK. I found a product info sheet on the Penrite Premium 0W-40. Now I need help to interpret it and compare with the Repco 0W-40. I don't know if I can post the image of the speed here. Can anyone explain what I can learn from the specs please?

Penrite Premium 0w-40

Viscosity Kinematic, cSt
at 40C = 85
at 100c = 14.9

Viscosity Index = 185

Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -35C = 6009

Zinc Mass % = 0.124

Boron Mass % = 0.063

Ca, Mass % = 0.296

Base Number = 9.8

Not many of these things seem to be in the other spec sheet and vica-versa.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3525762

Not sure what all the numbers mean in comparison and reality. I'd really like it is someone could give me the 'good oil' :) (bad pun?)

Last edited:
Hi Profrat,

I did a snap inspection of SuperCheap Auto (SCA) and REPCO yesterday. Both of them have sales on leading up to fathers day. Both have good sales on various name brand oils, but neither have sales on their "house" brand oils (REPCO oil or Chief oil at SCA).

This seems fairly usual to me. The house brands are a good deal compared to the name brands at full price. But with sales being so regular, you should never pay full price for the name brands. I rarely, if ever, see the house brands on sale.

Yesterday, the better buying was the name brands, at both stores.

REPCO had Valvoline SynPower at 25% off (5W30, 5W40). They also had Nulon and Penrite SemiSynthetics at 15% off. A few weeks ago they had 45% off Valvoline SynPower and Shell Helix Ultra.

SCA had Castrol Magnatec ( 10W30, 10W40) at 40% off, with Castrol Edge (5W40) at 25% off. They also had Penrite 10Tenths Racing (pure group 4 &5) and Shell Helix Ultra (new GTL full synthetic ) both at 15% off.

Hard to look at house brands when the above stuff was almost the same price or even cheaper.

BTW most Penrite full synthetics are group 3 oils. Only their 10Tenths oils (racing or premium) are full group 4/5 oils. I would suggest that if Penrite made the house oil for REPCO it would be their normal group 3 synthetics. Penrite would keep the special stuff for themselves. Also REPCO could change house brand supplier depending on the deal offered at the time. It will always be good stuff, may not always be Penrite.

Fix Typo:

" REPCO ..... A few weeks ago they had 35 to 40% off Valvoline SynPower and Shell Helix Ultra. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back