Can I mix these? Same thing? (Castrol Edge STP/US)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I wonder if you can help me with this...

I have to add 1 liter to my car because of a leak, and I previously used the Castrol Edge with SPT from the first picture. Then I ordered a bottle but received a different bottle that they say is the same thing, but I have my doubts because it says Castrol Edge US (no SPT).
So, is the same, can I mix them?

Thank you!!!

5w40-2.jpg

41dUeCMRcNL.jpg

The STP version has a diesel injector cleaner additive. Do you drive a diesel? Mix away!

Originally Posted By: BRZED
The STP version has a diesel injector cleaner additive. Do you drive a diesel? Mix away!

SPT, not STP.

Wasn't SPT "Syntec Protection Technology", or some such thing? The new bottle mentions Syntec, maybe it is the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Same thing, go for it. I mentioned in another thread a Syntec rollback at Canadian Tire. Both those bottles were on the shelf today.

Thanks everybody! I appreciate your answers! Garak, if possible can you send me the link to that thread, I would like to read it
smile.gif

BRZED My car it's not Diesel, it's Gasoline, but the bottle says it's for both.

Stelth it seems SPT stands for "SYNTEC Power Technology" so it's probable a shorter naming. The thing that created my doubts is the "US" at the end of 5W-40 on the newer bottle, I suspected that a different specification involved a different formulation, and since I don't know about quimicals, I was afraid to mix different formulas
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Mix away, there's no issues with mixing oils.

MolaKule (long time bitog expert) mentioned one time that he recommends mixing only within one brand. However, they do change formulations from time to time. Yet its almost always safe. Mixing has been discussed a lot on bitog. google: mixing motor oils site:bobistheoilguy.com
and you'll read some good (and weird) advice, its all "mixed" in there.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Mix away, there's no issues with mixing oils.

MolaKule (long time bitog expert) mentioned one time that he recommends mixing only within one brand. However, they do change formulations from time to time. Yet its almost always safe. Mixing has been discussed a lot on bitog. google: mixing motor oils site:bobistheoilguy.com
and you'll read some good (and weird) advice, its all "mixed" in there.
I agree, I didn't word my comment right. What I should have said there's usually no issues with mixing oils, as long as you keep them similar.

Originally Posted By: fernandoar
Thanks everybody! I appreciate your answers! Garak, if possible can you send me the link to that thread, I would like to read it
smile.gif

My comments were here, which really doesn't tell you much other than that I was wandering around Canadian Tire pointlessly.
wink.gif
Both those same bottles were on the shelf at the same time, that's all. Just make sure the specs are the same. Perhaps even the bar code might be the same. Companies will occasionally leave it alone if they're just changing packaging or replacing a product with another (i.e. QSED and Defy had the same bar code). Other times, though, they'll just change the bar code for the heck of it.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Just picked up the new Edge. It took me a bit to find because I was looking for the gold bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back