01 7.3L with Amsoil 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, new to the sight looking for some info.
My last two reports from Blackstone have been a little worrysome.
Please take a look and let me know what you think may be going on.

Vehicle is a 2001 F250 with 7.3L, auto trans, chipped, GTP38R turbo, and 4" turbo back exhaust.
First report was the first change after swapping turbos.

Code:
Oil Amsoil 5W/40 Amsoil 5W/40 Amsoil 5W/40

Miles in use 5,682 6,840 Miles 3,363 Miles

Sample Taken 12/21/10 11/30/14 6/27/15

ALUMINUM 2 17 9

CHROMIUM 1 6 3

IRON 16 72 52

COPPER 2 5 3

LEAD 2 3 3

TIN 0 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 38 51 53

NICKEL 1 6 3

MANGANESE 0 1 1

SILVER 0 2 1

TITANIUM 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 3 4 3

BORON 50 48 54

SILICON 4 23 21

SODIUM 5 6 6

CALCIUM 1127 902 853

MAGNESIUM 1005 1195 1238

PHOSPHORUS 1067 1081 1106

ZINC 1174 1284 1395

BARIUM 1 0 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 13.04 14.76 13.12

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 70.3 77.0 70.6

Flashpoint in °F 440 435 425

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2 0.2 0.1

Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Your silicon is a little high, which could be dirt getting past your air filter. Iron seems a tad high too, at least compared to the UOAs on my Cummins (my last iron reading was 32 after 14k miles). Did you change the oil at 3,363 miles or just draw a sample out of the dipstick tube?

Plenty of iron in your engine's diet all of a sudden. Aluminum has raised its head a bit too. Iron seems to be accelerating rapidly. Almost as if a cylinder is starting to wear aggressively. How much power are you making now?

I did an oil change (per Blackstone recomendation) at 3,363.

I haven't had it on a dyno, but I'm gonna say ~100-150 over stock. Still have stock injectors

Any change in the way you use it (more towing, more sustained high-load operation) that would correspond to the jump in iron? If not, then I'd agree with others- fix the silicon (air filtration) and it'll probably fix the iron.

New turbo is the biggest change.
Not really an increase in towing/hauling/high load use, but a decrease in daily driving/commuting use.

I put on a new air filter right before the 11/30/14 oil change. Didn't seem to lower the silicon levels any.

It would have to be pre-turbo though, correct? Anywhere else would cause a boost leak and the pressure would keep dirt etc out, or am I thinking wrong?

Originally Posted By: Cutty72
Not really an increase in towing/hauling/high load use, but a decrease in daily driving/commuting use.

I put on a new air filter right before the 11/30/14 oil change. Didn't seem to lower the silicon levels any.

Hmmm.

Any silicone-based plastic tubing or silicone sealant in the turbo/intercooler install? If there is, that could account for the silicone and the turbo bearing breaking in might account for the iron. But I'm still guessing there's an air/dirt leak that resulted from the turbo replacement.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Cutty72

Hmmm.

Any silicone-based plastic tubing or silicone sealant in the turbo/intercooler install? If there is, that could account for the silicone and the turbo bearing breaking in might account for the iron. But I'm still guessing there's an air/dirt leak that resulted from the turbo replacement.

No sealant used, turbo replacement only (GTP38R), factory intercooler and all tubing was retained.

I went through all connections, managed to get a couple turns tightening on intercooler boot clamps. Everything looked good from air filter to turbo.

Is this bad enough that I should be expecting major engine problems in the near future?

Last edited:
Possibly, but the Blackstone guys say that should have been contained to the first change. After 6k miles, the new turbo should have been broken in, at least beyond the point of that much contamination.

What kind of airfilter and when did you install the tune? The Amsoil is the wrong oil for the short oil changes you are running {no advantage]. Run Delo or Delvac 1300 until you get the iron problem worked out. There is really 0 advantage to run Amsoil and change it out so often.

Would be good to get that leak sealed but I don't think in the short term it's going to cause major damage by having 50ppm iron.

Now if you leave it like that for years on end, it will cause wear to your cylinder bores and pistons.

And I agree with CT8, run Delvac, Delo or Rotella dino until you find the source for the silicon. Just throwing money away with the Amsoil at that interval.

02 7.3 Diesel F250,,,, I was having High silicone reports and I got ride of the OEM ail filter and installed a K&N filter and the bad report still came back for high silicone.

I ditched the K&N for the Ford AIS filter system and the silicone problem disappeared immediately.

A filter passing dirt will ruin your turbo also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back