Best Daily Driver Car (Sedan or Hatch) for $16K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a few deals fall through and am back to the drawing board. I am looking to buy over the next few weeks and have some criteria.

What I would like to find
1. Lower than 15k miles if a used car
2. City MPG of 24 or better
3. I keep cars along time (7-10 years) so reliability is a concern
4. Fun to drive (I think this is why I liked the new jetta with 1.8 Turbo)
5. Leather

I know I can't get much at the 16K price point but thought I would ask those in the know what cars I should keep an eye open for.

You'll need to spend a lot more money for leather.

The cheapest decent cars IMO are:

2015 Yaris for $13,500
Yaris

2015 Corolla for $14,000
Corolla

2015 Fit for $16,000
Fit

Last edited:
2015 Versa Note S plus will be slightly over 16k, after you figure taxes, but it has CVT!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
2015 Versa Note S plus will be slightly over 16k, after you figure taxes, but it has CVT!

Here's a 5-speed 2015 Versa for $11,500

Versa

KIA forte be a good choice.

For 16k tho it will have more than 15k miles.

You can get a new one without leather or options for 16k.

Good topic. I'm somewhat considering looking at a new cheap car too. The local Ford and Chevy dealers around here have the Focus and Cruze advertised for $15-16K, Fiesta and Sonic for around $13K. Those are all brand new. Not with leather though. My one main requirement is that it has a manual transmission.

One of the best small cars is the Honda Fit, if you can afford that, i would pick that over any Versa, Sonic, Fiesta or other one in that range. It's a little more pricey to begin with, but you will thank yourself after 5+ years of ownership.

If I had to choose even tho I'm not a Ford fan I would pick the Fiesta over the Sonic (plus that 1.0L ecoboost is awesome) the Sonic is so ugly. The Cruze would be pick over the Focus. (Focus looks better tho) lol

The cars I have been eyeing.

2014 VW Jetta SE 1.8L TSI (10k miles) $15,500
2013 Ford Focus Sedan 2.0L (15k miles $14,900

I'm not currently interested in the smaller Mazada 2 or Another Versa

Last edited:
I've seen new Elantra GT's for under 16k. The base model has heated seats/mirrors, power everything. The rear seats fold flat making it VERY utilitarian. I've hauled everything from snow blowers to 6x6 lumber and 500 lbs of concrete.

It's spirited to drive with the 6-speed manual trans.

Proven powertrain and warranty to match.

Last edited:
Used Cruze with a stick or an ex rental LTZ. Our Fit has been dead-nuts reliable, but it has nowhere near the refinement of the Cruze. It does get 30 mpg in exclusively city driving, and it's so easy to drive in an urban jungle. Much easier than the Cruze, which has large blind spots and a larger turning radius. For lots of highway driving, the Cruze is the car since it is a comfy long distance car.

I'd look at haggling over a new Sonata, Optima, 6i,.... and skip the leather.
Optima is easy enough to haggle if you shop around($5k off msrp).
6i has 0% financing.
Sonata should start having end of year discounts for leftovers, and can sometimes be heavily discounted.

You can't pay me enough to own another VW headache.
Used Ford for $15k? why?

With the new Cruze coming out, 2015's are being heavily discounted by some dealers. $22k MSRP Cruze for $17k sound good?

Leather is also easy enough to add to any vehicle in the future.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
The cars I have been eyeing.

2014 VW Jetta SE 1.8L TSI (10k miles) $15,500
2013 Ford Focus Sedan 2.0L (15k miles $14,900

I'm not currently interested in the smaller Mazada 2 or Another Versa

The Focus would be a good choice, but that price seems high. Most important, look for a 5 speed manual; avoid the dual clutch automatic at all costs.

I'd go for a new Honda Fit and realize that beggars can't be choosers, and you don't "deserve" everything they say you do...

Or else recalibrate a bit.

Look for an MT, basic version of a better at and run with it. There are plenty of options if you cede leather especially.

If my budget were $16k, I'd take a close look at a new Kia Soul. $16k won't buy leather, but it's new and hits all the other requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back