M1 0w20 EP 2004 Expedition 5.4l 8k

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, the copper is high. I have more than double your OCI on the same engine/oil and your copper is 9 versus 2 on mine. Obviously, I have UOA Trending and we cannot draw any conclusions from a single UOA, but I would keep an eye on it. The rest of the UOA seems to be fine. Does the MoS2 also affect the calcium levels? M1 usually has around 1100-1200 calcium versus 1400 in your UOA (could just be an anomaly though).

VFmhK8N.jpg

What does SHORT mean for Flashpoint?
Good report, no problems, try doing an OCI with no moly next time to see if you notice a wear iron ppm difference.

Originally Posted By: meborder
I'd like to see the results. File won't open for me. Why not just post the results in the code format?
You would like to see my results or someone else's?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
What does SHORT mean for Flashpoint?
Good report, no problems, try doing an OCI with no moly next time to see if you notice a wear iron ppm difference.

Short of oil to do the test. Sometimes people don't fill the bottle full, and I have seen reports where Blackstone admitted spilling some and coming up short of enough for all tests.

Seeing people using M0S2 is really making curious about it. Does it honestly do any good? Can it cause any harm?

Thanks for posting the picture. Results look as good or better than mine.

Wondering if yours has an oil cooler, that might explain the copper. I know the 2005+ don't but not sure about the older ones.

FX4: thanks for posting yours as well. You sent me your spread sheet a while back. Thanks for that.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Seeing people using M0S2 is really making curious about it. Does it honestly do any good? Can it cause any harm?

I can and usually does lower friction (and wear with the >200ppm amounts). Ring deposits risk though.

I can and usually does lower friction (and wear with the >200ppm amounts). Ring deposits risk though.

I hate to be "that guy", but what data to do you have to prove that? I don't mean generically speaking, ie lubing up your kid's pinewood derby car or something, but in this specific application.

M1 formulated a very good oil, seems odd to me to dump some other stuff in with it without a lot of testing.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope

I hate to be "that guy", but what data to do you have to prove that? I don't mean generically speaking, ie lubing up your kid's pinewood derby car or something, but in this specific application.............M1 formulated a very good oil, seems odd to me to dump some other stuff in with it without a lot of testing.....robert

For my comment about deposits risk with too much moly, specifically in 0w-20 oils, there is some tech evidence: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3667993/0w20_w/high_moly_cant_pass_TEO

For my comment about friction and anti-wear functions of moly, notice Mazda Genuine Motor Oil 0w-20 synthetic, made by Idemitsu, uses 600 ppm moly, a high amount, and gets a waiver of TEOST GF-5 requirements, and Mazda claims right on the bottle "Include high levels moly which reduces wear, especially at low temperatures when the anti-wear agents are inactive." This corroborates what MolaKule (bitoger) has said about moly's function, being primarily a FM at lower concentrations seen in a typical motor oil, and has AW properties in heavier concentrations, phasing in past around 200 ppm approximately in some old SAE tech papers I've read and am too lazy right now to list. I'm reaching for a beer now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back