Leaky new steel wheel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had someone bring me a near new tire/wheel off of a car trailer today with a very slow leak. I use a spray bottle and kids bubble soap mixed with distilled water. Used up a whole spray bottle assuming it was the tire, bead, valve stem, or core. Could not find any leaks at all, and ready to give up. Finally sprayed down the backside of the wheel shell, and sure enough, there was a small pin hole in the middle of the rim shell. Looked to be in the joint where the rim is welded on the inside. Will see if he can get it warrantied before trying to repair it. Would probably need just one small tack weld on the inside with a MIG. Have seen a couple wheel leaks on aluminum, but this was the first steel one. Never assume it is the tire I guess.

Last edited:
Did the customer say at what rate the tire was losing air? Do they know tires lose air over time and air temperature affects tire pressure as well?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Did the customer say at what rate the tire was losing air? Do they know tires lose air over time and air temperature affects tire pressure as well?

It was a only a couple pounds per week, but the bubbles were obvious.

a friend has a 10yr old lexus that when she got new tires and stems all the stems leaked around the stem to metal area. don't know if its bad stems or rust on the rims.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
a friend has a 10yr old lexus that when she got new tires and stems all the stems leaked around the stem to metal area. don't know if its bad stems or rust on the rims.

Easy to catch, if you are paying attention. If you see corrosion on the old valve stem when you pull it out, you have to run a round wire brush in, and out of the hole to clean it up. Chrome wheels, all bets are off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back