Thoughts on 2016 Acrua MDX 9 Speed Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pondering a vehicle....the 2016 MDX is a pretty good fit for me with the AWD, engine, gas mileage, etc.. I don't expect much from any of the tech services as no matter what they seem to be not as intuitive as they should be. I understand behind the rear 3rd row isn't large enough, but each vehicle is a compromise in some way shape or forum.

My oh no issue with the MDX is the 9 speed trans. Haven driven one yet, but soon coming. I could foresee the searching for gear issues and then read plenty of them on reviews. Honda trans do give me a little fear. Anyone have real deal experience?

I do like to hear what others think but so much vitriol I hear online has me skeptical of all. There are a few Infiniti models I like...but try and read reviews!!! Yet I have a 07 Maxima with 110k I love (moms car) and it hasnt had any repairs yet; 10 Armada and 112k with nevr a visit for a repair (wife's).

Frankly my fav is Range Rover LR4 but hear monster horror about those. I like the Audi 5 SUV but again, it's horror.

I feel as if there is soooo much info online in the "review category" it's impossible to truly use the info as reliable. I get brakes on a BMW are expensive, but I also have known first hand how quick they stop and how good they work. EBC Green and slotted/drilled rotors on the Maxima on all 4 is comparable, but so is the price (almost; no sensor wire).

Sometimes a flood of info is just not helpful. Anyway, back tot he main point. Anyone experience the 9 speed trans? Impressions?

Isn't this the same ZF unit Chrysler is using? I had a rental Cherokee with it recently and thought it was okay, but it took 3-5 seconds to full engage in drive.

I wouldn't buy your vehicle priortizing on reliability. VAG/Audi has been doing an excellent job addressing quality issues over the past several years. Especially in regard to parts revisions. So if your buying a VAG product that has been out a few years, it's going to be a good vehcile. My wife and I use to own Japanese vehicles. We moved onto getting what we really wanted and are happier for it. Consumers Reports actually recommends the Audi Q5 but not the Acura MDX. Consumers Reports gives a thumbs down on the Acuras 9 speed transmission. What you really need to do is test drive every vehicle you listed and see what YOU like best.

Around me only half of the horror of the Euro based cars is the cars. The dealers struggle to id the cause and keep them fixed thus spawning a bunch of indy outfits often staffed by past dealer techs.
I thought for many years we had too few gears in the automatics-now it seems there's a race to see who can have the most=goofy. I think about 6 is enough.

What's better, an engine with a wide power band or a transmission with a lot of gears? 6 and a good torque converter seem more than enough in the frozen north where roads are tank traps and speed limits are set by gramdma and the safety nazis.

Infiniti QX60: Absolutely feel it is gorgeous....too bad it lacks pep of its rivals AND apparently it doesn't come near the EPA mpg ratings.

It should not be this frustrating when one is willing to drop 50k on a vehicle.

ZF makes a great transmission, 9-spd included. They are still trying to get the tuning right, but that's more a customer preference thing. I would have no hesitations getting a ZF 9-spd.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I thought for many years we had too few gears in the automatics-now it seems there's a race to see who can have the most=goofy. I think about 6 is enough.

My thoughts too. I previously owned a CVT a few years ago and loved it, although discrete-gears of 8 or 9 speeds do seem like the transmission would spend most of its time changing gears instead of coupling power. With modern CVT's, power is always transmitted while the cones inside slide, so no "shift-shock". My current 6-speed automatics do OK, but does seem like the transmission is shifting too often.
I have to drive a new 2015 Jeep Cherokee 9-speed and count how many times the transmission is fickle about which gear it should be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back