What Color Is Your Garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got done fixing my garage door and am looking to clean it up and paint it before it gets cold. The walls currently are half white sheetrock and half paneling....but I'm tearing off the paneling so it's all sheetrock. Just need some ideas on color.
Garage Pics Welcome.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I just got done fixing my garage door and am looking to clean it up and paint it before it gets cold. The walls currently are half white sheetrock and half paneling....but I'm tearing off the paneling so it's all sheetrock. Just need some ideas on color.
Garage Pics Welcome.

White. Or a very light gray. But white should be your first choice.

If your garage is a place where you work, then white is by far the best choice. It reflects the most light, and lighting is always an issue in a garage. And white is more neutral in color. Any other color is going to have an effect on how your eyes perceive color in the garage. A neutral gray would not effect color, but it is going to reflect less light.

But if you don't work in your garage and your most important factor is eye appeal, than go for something else. Paint it to match or contrast the room that the garage door enters into.

I finally finished the inside of my 25 year old garage last year. I used varnished pine car siding on the ceiling. On the walls I used exterior, primed grained/grooved Smart siding 4 x 8 panels. The only one wall I had drywall on, I removed and put up siding. Looks great, waterproof, and tough. Plus not joints to finish!!! Painted it a light satin grey for color. White shows the slightest amount of dirt. I found the light satin grey a good compromise to show less dirt, and keep it bright. The backside of the doors are off white for a little contrast. And you can't have too many lights any color.

Last edited:
Would pegboard/perforated hardboard work out for you? There is 1/4" and 3/16" hole diameter pegboard and I've even seen white pegboard.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
If your garage is a place where you work, then white is by far the best choice. It reflects the most light, and lighting is always an issue in a garage.

Good Point.

Sheetrock where it touches the house, and the yellow-brown of the backside of the board that the builder used as underlayment for the siding everywhere else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back