what type of frog/toad is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was on the side of my shop along with a dozen or so of his arachnid friends tonight helping to control the moth and mosquito population drawn in by an adjacent pole light. Never seen anything like him around here before.

He doesn't match any of the frogs/toads listed on the Illinois Department of Natural Resources website as being 'local.'

241pjyt.jpg

Grey treefrog, hyla versicolor.

I used to have several as pets when I was a child. They learned to eat out of my hand, would frequently keep me up at night with their "singing".

Last edited:
I see these all the time in southern Wisconsin, usually hanging on the side of my house at night when the outside lights are on. They do keep the insects down.

This one does look a bit more "green" than the ones I have seen, but I occasionally see them clinging to the house/ windows at night.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
This one does look a bit more "green" than the ones I have seen, but I occasionally see them clinging to the house/ windows at night.

Hard or rather impossible to determine the actual color of the frog, but it's probably alpha green, aka grey-green.

My SIL grows dwarf citrus trees in pots, so he can bring them in in the winter. A gray tree frog hibernated in the mulch. It scared the daylights out of my daughter when it woke up in April. I would treat it as a good sign. Amphibians can't handle much pollution.
grin2.gif

We have those on our house pretty much every night. We also have some that are a brighter green with no spots on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back