Shocks for '98 Dodge HD 2500 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the shocks in my '98 Dodge HD 2500 diesel. Before I fire off my ?'s I need to say (and yes this will [censored] some off, so please accept my apology for offending you here), what I don't need is opinions based off of one bad/great experience. Not to say if you & 1K's of others had the same experience, it just I don't want to get in to a debate of (i.e.) Ford vs. Chevy, vs. Dodge because it's all relevant. Some basic info - truck has 265K miles, HD springs, not lifted, used everyday from commuter, rugged terrain(live in NW), heavy loads/hauling. I need to replace them myself. I took it to Les Schwab & they suggested KYB monomax(565018/19), but what little I could find online says they are a lower-end shock, so...
1) Is there a better shock? What makes it so? & a little of the science behind it.

2). I see where I can purchase the KYB online thru kyboutlet for about 1/2 the cost of B&M. Is there really that much of a mark-up or is there something wrong with these?

3) Is there a reliable online store where I can buy replacement parts?

4) Any websites that can give me unbiased reviews of auto parts?

5) Finally the loaded ? are there any shocks/online stores that you absolutely stay away from?

Sorry for the long post & thanks for any help you can give me.

By far the most popular shock is Bilstein. Either the 4600 or the 5100. They are very close. Take your pick.

I have the 5100. No it doesn't make a lumber wagon ride like a caddy, but it helps control the truck.

The Bilstein are the most popular for any brand truck. Dodge, Ford, GM. Google it.

I've never used KYB in a truck application, so no comment. But I will say don't waste your time with Monroe shocks.

4wheeldriveparts.com has sales on Bilstein shocks every so often. I paid $270 shipped for all 4.

Edit, my whole post is strictly talking about 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Not 1/2 ton.

Last edited:
Thanks! I checked w/O'Reilly's & they were $104ea w/o tax & about the same at Les Schwab. The kyboutlet was $58. I've never shopped online for my parts & am a bit leery when there is such a huge price difference.

The MonoMax and Gas-a-Just shocks are fine. They're actually a step up from the basic OE replacement GR2. The Monomax is more for truck duty, whereas the Gas-a-just is for better handling.

The best shocks you can buy are the Bilstein HD. You can get them on shox.com for $289

Is your truck 2WD or 4WD?

I think you've gotten good advice. KYB are excellent. Bilstein are excellent, and I actually doubt much better than KYB for a truck application.

Monroes are really not as bad as some would have you believe- they're a good product in the higher-end of their range. Just don't get the low-end single-acting line.

It's a 4WD (3/4T HD) sorry about that. Out here if you're going to run around in the mtns. you have to have 4WD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Apeiria
It's a 4WD (3/4T HD) sorry about that. Out here if you're going to run around in the mtns. you have to have 4WD

Cool. Then the set of Bilstein is only $265
smile.gif

I'm following this thread, I have been interested in getting KYB
GR-2 / Excel-G for my Toyota truck.

Bilstein are very popular and for good reason, IMO the best shocks you can get.

My other favorite is the Monroe Reflex. I have them on my 05 Yukon, they are very nice.

My recommendations would be Monroe Reflex, or Bilstein.

I would stay away from the brand that starts with a G.

Also, KYB is nice too just a little too stiff for my liking on a truck/suv.

Thanks everyone for the advice! So do any of you have a go to website for unbiased reviews for auto parts. I've tried Google & can't really find anything

For trucks, I say unequivocally: Rancho. The RS9000X (9-way adjustable) are superb, especially if you see greatly-varying loads in the truck. I ran them on my J-20, both my F-350's, and my wife has them on her big Blazer.

LINK

If you haven't checked Gabriel Ultras then you missed the best deal in a heavy duty shock.

Cheap, great damping, and lifetime warranted, too. Running them on 9000+ pound service vans and some Silverados here and love them.

SteveSRT8 beat me to it. I don't know why someone previously said to stay away from Gabriel, but the Ultras are by far the best quality shock I have used in a few applications. One was a lowered 64 Chevy C10, the other is the 67 Ford F250 in my signature. Not a harsh ride (I mean it's a 3/4 ton truck after all) but nice control and no bouncing. I'm sticking with the Ultras on anything I replace shocks on that has those as an application.
I got a very good deal by finding the part numbers I needed and searching those numbers on Amazon. Ended up getting about half price and shipped to my door in 2 days.

http://gabriel.com/light-vehicle/products/ultra/

Rockauto.com has provided a lot of shocks, filters, body parts for my two Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel trucks.
I also use Amazon. I got my last two sets of Timken unit bearings there at a killer price. Helps to have the product name and number as Amazon's internal search sucks.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with Bilstein. I've had good experiences with the Gabriel and Rancho shocks, but they don't match the ride control and durability of the Bilsteins.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
Bilstein are very popular and for good reason, IMO the best shocks you can get.

My other favorite is the Monroe Reflex. I have them on my 05 Yukon, they are very nice.

My recommendations would be Monroe Reflex, or Bilstein.

I would stay away from the brand that starts with a G.

Also, KYB is nice too just a little too stiff for my liking on a truck/suv.

+1 Bilstein is one of the best for your application. I have the reflex shocks on my Equinox. Now before anybody says anything, a comfort oriented CUV and a HD truck are different but I wanted to get more trucklike qualities/abilities in my Equinox and the reflex shocks and struts did just that. Still has a smooth highway ride as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back