Using Toyota Type-IV fluid instead of WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
I just drained-and-refilled the transmission fluid (didn't disconnect cooler lines) on my 08 Lexus RX350 AWD. Instead of using type WS fluid (new spec for 07+ RX I think), I used around 3.7 qts of Valvoline Maxlife (meets Toyota type IV spec).

Is that ok?

Although there's no noticeable drop in fuel economy, I did notice a slightly rougher shifting. Is this normal, as the trans is adjusting to the new fluid?

Should I just drain it all out again, and refill w/ WS?

Thanks much for the help; I really appreciate it.

I'm sure that in a few seconds somebody will post with more knowledge on the Maxlife than me. BUT I can say that I have heard people using Maxlife in recent Toyotas. So hope is not lost.

My concern is your fill level. If you have a dipstick and follow the directions to check it at operating temp on a truly level surface.... You'll be fine. If it's the "sealed" transmission like the 6 speed U760 or U660 then you have a whole temperature process via an overflow tube and side fill port. And it is very sensitive to fill level.

Let us know about the dipstick and the procedure you used filling it and a general value of how much drained.

Valvoline says that MaxLife is suitable for use where WS is called for.

From the MaxLife PI Sheet.
Quote:

Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS

MaxLife seems to be a do all ATF. While I don't know if I 100% agree, no one seems to complain that MaxLife messed their transmission up.

I agree with stchman. I do find it amusing that Valvoline has different claims in California than the rest of the US. (See Ford recommendations) Do you think they use a different formula in California?

Maxlife can be used for WS applications, too, so no worries
smile.gif

Besides, OEM Toyota WS isn't that great of an ATF. Maxlife is much better.

I apologize, but I actually used the Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle, NOT the Maxlife. For some reason, I confused myself. :-/

Would this make any difference?

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try to check the fluid level after driving for 50 min. back from work. Do I just pull out the dipstick (in Park, after driving) and check level to make sure it's under "Hot"?

After checking Redline's website, they mention D6 as meeting WS specs, but D4 only meets up to type IV. Perhaps D6 would be the optimal choice?

Thanks much for the assistance.

Last edited:
How long did you plan on keeping it in the system?

If you were going to change it soon anyway, then you can wait until then, next time using Maxlife or Castrol Full Synthetic ATF.

Well, the dam good news is that you apparently have a (transmission) dipstick. Without one its a freaking joke of temp sensing modes shifting at 1 second intervals to input a idle control mode connecting two OBD pins with a jumper wire and filling, and drizzling out the overflow leveling tube and the moon in its third orbit of halcyon 5 a planet in the Norvin System once ruled by Lord Toyoda who believed that the peasants were to stupid to change their space cruiser atf so he decree that none be easy to level, however his empire fell since during the most important battle against evil emperor Kia-koreha the warp drives transmissions blew out with just 100k light years on them. A few if his faithful are still seen roving the galaxy in their more dependable and serviceable Corolla light cruisers.

Anyways, yes get the vehicle hot park it level pull the stick wipe reinsert and pull again. It should read within the market hot range. And things you think are level usually aren't as level as you think.

@Sumpchump, even the ones without a dipstick still have a dipstick tube where you can fill, and they still have a drain plug, too
smile.gif

Been running maxlife in our 13 Corolla that wants WS since 6k miles if I remember correctly. Cooler line flushed at 6k and 30k. It's at 67k now so I'll probably do another soon. Fluid just starting to get a little darker than I like. Always shifts good and no complaints from me or the car. And it's cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back