Troubling Oil Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,
The first three oil changes for my Passat where included with the purchase and I completed my first change this summer and decided to send it to Blackstone for review. Anyone have any thoughts on these results as to whether I should be worried??? I have no reason otherwise to expect any issue with the car as it still drives and has the same fuel economy as the day I bought it. Any analysis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Blackstone Oil Report

Run for 7k since that's what Blackstone's averages are based on; that removes one more variable from your calculations.

Then, run 7k again.

Then, run 7k again.

Then, run 7k again.

Oil sampling is only useful to establish a trend. You will have some VERY powerful data once you have some 7k runs on your vehicle to compare against Blackstone's 7k universal averages.

Originally Posted By: rutlean
All,
The first three oil changes for my Passat where included with the purchase and I completed my first change this summer and decided to send it to Blackstone for review. Anyone have any thoughts on these results as to whether I should be worried??? I have no reason otherwise to expect any issue with the car as it still drives and has the same fuel economy as the day I bought it. Any analysis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Blackstone Oil Report

Since you have a 2013 VW Passat TDI, you NEED to use a VW approved 504/507 rated synthetic oil, regardless of viscosity grade.

From the looks of the report, you just used a normal castrol edge synthetic 5w30 from a box store without the appropriate VW approvals.

Switch immediately to a VW 504/507 approved oil and you should be fine.

Manual states 10k interval for oil change. The oil that the dealership uses is the Castrol VW507 approved. I changed with Liqui Moly TopTec 4200 which is made in Germany and VW507 approved.

Thanks for all the comments

Last edited:
Never seen Aluminium results quite that bad before. If the result is correct (typo maybe?) then I think you're right to be concerned.

These TDIs can take quite some time for the break-in to occur; I've seen it go as long as 60,000 or more.

Stick with a VW507 oil and drop back to 10K OCI.

Whoa! That is a lot of aluminium, and quite a bit of iron.

However, I'd wager those levels will drop significantly next OCI, and keep trending downward until they stabilize somewhere around 1ppm / 1000mi ... or less.

You need more than one data point, keep sampling at the same interval using the same oil to establish a trend.

Manual states 10k interval for oil change.

That could be one reason. You did 12.5k.

The oil that the dealership uses is the Castrol VW507 approved.

Can you be 100% sure they used the approved 5w30 rather than a cheaper 5w30? If they used something else, then that would certainly make 12.5k miles too long an oci vs just a little longer on the approved oil.

- Your 100c viscosity is 10.19cst. I don't know if that's normal for a VW507 5w30 after 12.5k miles.

- Maybe someone with more knowledge of the Castrol VW507 oil could comment on the additive levels in your UOA.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I'd re-sample.

I agree, in fact there is so much AL in there that i would do a shorter oci before sampling again. Since you never get all the oil out of the engine, sampling the next fill might be misleading.

Was there any top off oil? If it was a quart or two low at sample time, I'd wager the results would look a lot better if you were keeping it topped off. 12k is a long run for any car with no top off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back